Summer Program: Rule of Law in Russia

**********************************
Summer Legal Russian Program
(July 2 - August 26, 1996)
**********************************
The Institute for International Communication and the International Institute of
Russian Language and Culture, under the auspices of the Tver InterContact
Group, a private, non-profit educational and consulting  organization, announce
the opening of enrollment for their Summer Legal Russian Program (SLRP).

SLRP will be based upon the just-completed Spring Legal Russian Program, but
this summer we will be offering entirely new options to our students. SLRP will be
divided into two 4-week Sessions, running from July 2 through 28 and from July
30 through August 25, respectively.  Also, we will be opening up the school to a
wider variety of students, and this summer no Russian proficiency will be required
to participate. Each Session will feature two tracks: 'A' track for students wishing
to study only Russian Law; 'B' track for students wishing to study both Russian
language and Law. All programs will be centered at the International Institute of
Russian Language and Culture, located in the ancient provincial capital of Tver,
in the heart of Central Russia and conveniently located between Moscow and St.
Petersburg.

Track A offers language courses at levels ranging from introductory through
advanced. Our instructors tailor each program curriculum to the unique abilities,
needs, and interests of the students. Track B offers a professional legal internship,
with the assistance of a translator. Internships will be offered with the Tver
Regional Prosecutor's office, City Court of Tver, Tver Mayor's Office, and with
the legal departments of local law firms and businesses. Both language training
and the internship involve 10 hours per week.

Both tracks also offer 12 hours per week of seminars and consultations on various
aspects of Russian law, including: Criminal Law; Civil Procedure; Constitutional
Law; Tax Law; Civil Rights of Minorities and Federation Citizens; Property
Law; Commercial Transactions; Women & the Law. The subject matter from the
lectures will be supplemented with excursions and presentations made at: Tver
Regional Procurator's Office; City Court of Tver; Tver Regional Court of Appeals;
Tver Mayor's Office; Tver Militia Headquarters; Tver Regional Customs House;
Tver City Prison.

In addition, students from both tracks will be invited to participate in cultural
area studies seminars and supplemental cultural excursions offered to students
attending the concurrent Summer School of Russian Language and Area Studies,
on Russian history, literature, cinematography, politics, and economics.

As in the 1995 term, the Summer schools combined expect to host over 150
Russian students, and up to 100 International students from the U.S., Canada, the
E.C., Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. Students will spend four
relaxing weeks interacting with their peers, studying Russian and Russian Law,
and enjoying the culture of Russia's friendliest town -- Tver, capital of the Tver
Region between Moscow and St. Petersburg. Students of all ages and abilities are
invited to apply for this special program. We especially invite law students, law
professors, professional attorneys, and professors and students of political
science.

Although no scholarships are available, financial support from the Tver Regional
Board of Education and the City Council of Tver already helps us to make our
programs the least expensive offered anywhere in Russia. Exact prices and further
information will be provided upon request.

For more information, please contact:

Richard Smith
International Programs Director
International Institute of Russian Language and Culture

P.O. Box 0565
Central Post Office
Tver 170000, Russia

Email:  legal _at__ ic.redline.ru