Librarians in the Movies -- An Annotated Filmography

Liebe Listenleser,

in dieser Liste wurde schon ueber die Darstellung von Bibliothekaren in
der Literatur wie auch in Abbildungen gesprochen. Sollte sich auch
jemand fuer dieses Thema im Bereich Film interessieren, ist die
umfaengliche Filmographie eines amerikanischen Zeitgenossen zu
empfehlen, die unter der URL

http://library.lib.binghamton.edu/staff/mraish/movies/introduction.html

zu erreichen ist.

Viel Spass beim Stoebern wuenscht
Rita Albrecht
Stadt- und Universitaetsbibliothek / Erwerbung
Bockenheimer Landstr. 134 - 138
60325 Frankfurt (Germany)
Telefon +49/(0)69/212-39393
Telefax +49/(0)69/212-39404
Email r.albrecht _at__ stub.uni-frankfurt.de
http://www.stub.uni-frankfurt.de
Title: Librarians in the Movies -- An Annotated Filmography

                         LIBRARIANS IN THE MOVIES
                         An Annotated Filmography

Maintained by Martin Raish, Binghamton University Libraries,
Binghamton NY -- mraish _at__ library.lib.binghamton.edu.

The "librarian stereotype" has long been the focus of articles,
letters, workshops, conversations, and possibly even dreams and
nightmares.  But analyses have usually been based on limited
personal experience with a small number of examples, whether
books, television programs, or in this case, commercial motion
pictures.

Is the meek spinster with her hair in a bun (such as Donna Reed
in "It's A Wonderful Life" or Hilda Plowright in "Philadelphia
Story") more or less common than the young, innocent blonde (such
as Carole Lombard in "No Man of Her Own" or Goldie Hawn in "Foul
Play")?  Are male librarians more often like the surly John
Rothman in "Sophie's Choice," the reclusive Jason Robards in
"Something Wicked This Way Comes," or the lecherous Peter Sellers
in "Only Two Can Play"?

Questions such as these cannot be answered with confidence until
we have a better grasp of the overall picture (so to speak...).
This filmography is an ongoing attempt to expand our collective
memory, to find a more comprehensive and defensible basis for our
acceptance or rejection of the "typical movie librarian" --
whatever we think he or she is.  It lists over 225 Hollywood (and
a few foreign) productions that in some significant or memorable
way include a library or librarian.

The films fall into four groups.

GROUP A   Someone says or does something that clearly identifies
          himself or herself (or some other character) as a
          librarian.  This person may be a professional, a clerk,
          a student assistant, a director, or some other type of
          "librarian."  Some have major roles, others have barely
          a dozen words to speak.  (About 95 films.)
To see the A Group, click here.
GROUP B   A library is used for research, for study, to meet
          someone, or for some other purpose, but any librarian
          that might be visible is essentially no more important
          than a piece of furniture that helps to identify the
          setting.  (About 75 films.)
To see the B Group, click here.
GROUP C   No librarian or library is shown, only mentioned or
          referred to in passing.  (About 20 films.)
To see the C Group, click here.
GROUP D   Films I have not seen, nor found adequate descriptive
          comments about, so am unable to put them into one of
          the other groups.  In most cases someone is listed in
          the credits as "librarian" so I assume he/she has a
          speaking part, but I don't know how significant or
          memorable it is.  (About 75 films.)
To see the D Group (and I really want you to do this, since I need plenty of help with these films), click here.
I welcome additions, corrections, and comments for all the films
listed here, especially for those whose descriptions are
incomplete.  Many of the films in the A Group need to be reviewed
again to see exactly what the librarian says or does.  Several of
those in the B Group need fuller reviews.  Some films may need to
be shifted from one group to another as more information is
uncovered.  And I really want to eliminate Group D.

This is a task impossible for one person to complete.  But
working together, like the four capable (non-stereotypical?)
research librarians in "Desk Set," we can do it.
Before you send me information, please look through the "Film Report Form" -- guidelines for submitting information to the filmography.

For a list of actors and actresses who have portrayed librarians, click here.

For a short bibliography of articles about librarians in the movies, click here.