Date:          Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:24:25 -0600
From:          Aimee Glassel <aglassel _at__ CS.WISC.EDU>
Subject:       Re: url checking software
To:            Multiple recipients of list INTERCAT <INTERCAT _at__ OCLC.ORG>

Cynthia -

In the September issue of the InterNIC News, the _End User's Corner_
(http://rs.internic.net/nic-support/nicnews/sep97/enduser.html) addresses
Site Management Solutions of the Internet Scout Project  (set browser to
underline links). In the article Teri Boomsma, the project's Webmaster,
briefly describes Big Brother
(http://pauillac.inria.fr/~fpottier/brother.html.en), a software program
for Macs that we use to check the URLs within our sites, as well as the for
the 2,700 URLs in our catalog, the Scout Report Signpost
(http://www.signpost.org/signpost/).

To use Big Brother we export the URLs from our cataloging database
(non-MARC format) into a single html document and then run Big Brother
against it (see End User's Corner article for more information).  Checking
2,700 URLs takes less than 30 minutes. We then have live people look into
just the bad links.

For PC users, we also tested Doctor HTML
(http://www2.imagiware.com/RxHTML/) which we ran against a web page
containing a list of URLs that we had also exported from our database.

I understand it is also possible to write a perl script to do this as well,
but I dont' know how to do that. :-)

Aimee Glassel

At 9:36 AM -0600 10/2/97, Cynthia Watters wrote:
>I know this has been discussed before, but things change...
>Is anyone using (or does anyone know of) useful software for automatically
>checking urls in MARC records?  The urls in the 856 fields of our DRA
>web version of our catalog work as hot links.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Cynthia Watters
>Catalog Librarian
>Middlebury College
>watters _at__ myriad.middlebury.edu
Monika Muennich
Universitaetsbibliothek
Postfach 105749
D 69047 Heidelberg
Tel. +49 (6221) 542574
Fax  +49 (6221) 542550
E-Mail muennich _at__ ub.uni-heidelberg.de