Debatte um die Ueberlieferung von Zeitungen in den USA

Ueber die aktuelle amerikanische Debatte zu Nicholson Bakers Buch, eine
Anklageschrift gegen die Praxis amerikanischer Bibliotheken verfilmte
Zeitungen auszusondern, informieren mit weiteren WWW-Nachweisen die
folgenden Auszuege aus der Liste Exlibris. Diese Diskussion verdient
auch in hiesigen Digitalisierungs-Kreisen Beachtung.

Klaus Graf

***

EXLIBRIS Digest 1981

> [...]

> subscribe to all of his conspiracy theories. (He seems to think, for
> example, that the CIA is ultimately responsible for all forms of
> wickedness in the world.) I'm a non-librarian myself but a heavy user of
> libraries, and I'll be most interested to see how the professionals
> respond to this book.
>
> William S. Peterson
> University of Maryland
> wsp _at__ wam.umd.edu

> Topic No. 6
>
> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:21:20 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jack Kessler <kessler _at__ well.com>

> The CIA ?! And acid paper / book preservation / librarians ?!!
>
> Now I _know_ I'm going to enjoy this. The age of innocence is
> lost -- like when we all found out that the Peace & Freedom Party
> was really just a 60s CIA front...
>

> Topic No. 7
>
> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:27:32 -0500

> Colleagues:
>
> I direct you to the article link below, by Richard J. Cox, archival
> studies professor at the UPittsburgh, for a good counter-point to Baker
> from the archives profession.
>
> <http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue5_12/cox/>
>
> Mark Lambert
> Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
> South Texas College of Law Library
> Houston, TX

> Topic No. 12
>
> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:02:09 -0400
> From: "RONALD SMELTZER" <rsmeltzer _at__ sarnoff.com>

> The actions of the library community exposed by Baker's book suggest
> that the role of the private collector in the preservation of our
> heritage is more important than ever.
> The volumes in my collection, spanning the 17th - 20th centuries, are
> much better cared for than is possible in most libraries, from what I
> observe.
> Ronald K. Smeltzer
>

> Topic No. 13
>
> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:00:50 -0400
> From: "Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer" <c_crawfo _at__ culinary.edu>

> This book has been a major source of discussion on the Archives e-mail list for the past couple of weeks. Besides the URLs already sent to the list, there are a couple of others that are interesting discussions:
>
> US News article about the book: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/010423/library.htm
>
> Another article by Richard Cox, on the Society of American Archivists web site: http://www.archivists.org/news/doublefold.html
>
> There is some speculation that Baker's book may cause the plight of preservation to get more attention and more funding. Although I haven't read the book, from the information I've learned about it in reviews, I'm afraid it will go the other way: People will read the book and not understand that, while some of it is true, some of it is exaggeration, and some discusses practices no longer followed, and will decide that those evil librarians shouldn't get any more funding if all they are going to

Topic No. 15

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:38:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jack Kessler <kessler _at__ well.com>

Ronald Smeltzer said,

> The actions of the library community exposed by Baker's book
> suggest that the role of the private collector in the
> preservation of our heritage is more important than ever.
>
> The volumes in my collection, spanning the 17th - 20th
> centuries, are much better cared for than is possible in most
> libraries, from what I observe.

This may be true but it would be a shame as well -- the role of
libraries in preservation being subverted by "control"
controversies which do not touch private individuals or
commercial firms.

The "public library" intention has been to provide for both
preservation and access in a single, public, institution. If
preservation is allowed to choke off access so much that people
cannot find and use materials, or if access demands are allowed
to erode the preservation effort, either way the "library" is not
be able to fulfill its dual role.

Returning that role to the private collector or commercial dealer
will take us all back several centuries... or perhaps to France,
where preservation always has been more the primary task of a
library, at least until recently...