(Fwd) Z39.85 Approved by NISO

Date sent:      	Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:07:33 -0400
Send reply to:  	"Weibel,Stu" <weibel _at__ OCLC.ORG>
From:           	"Weibel,Stu" <weibel _at__ OCLC.ORG>
Subject:        	Z39.85 Approved by NISO
To:             	DC-GENERAL _at__ JISCMAIL.AC.UK

I have been informed by Pat Harris, Executive Director of NISO, that Z39.85
has been approved and will be advanced to the American National Standards
Institute in July.  Thus, we have passed passed a major hurdle in this two
step process.

The approval of Z39.85 formalizes a long period of consensus building
representing the efforts of hundreds of people, and all participants can
take pride in what this community has built.  The efforts of the NISO
Committee members (listed below) are particularly deserving of thanks at
this time:

   John Kunze (Chair)    University of California

   Priscilla Caplan      Florida Center for Library Automation
   Rebecca Guenther      Library of Congress
   Marjorie Hlava        Access Innovations, Inc.
   Clifford Morgan       John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
   John Perkins          CIMI

As many of you know, approval as a NISO standard was not without opposition,
and this opposition represents important concerns in the community.  It is
incumbent upon the Dublin Core community to understand these concerns and to
address them as DCMI evolves.  This process is already underway.

For now, however, allow me to express my heart felt thanks for the many
contributions to this important milestone on the part of the NISO Committee
members, on the part of NISO Staff, and on the part of all who have brought
this effort to its current state.

Sincerely,

Stuart Weibel
Executive Director
Dublin Core Metadata Initiative
OCLC Office of Research
Hans J. Becker
Leiter der Erwerbungs- und Katalogabteilung
Referat Mathematik/Informatik, SSG Reine Mathematik
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek Goettingen
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1
D-37073 Goettingen
Tel: ++49 551/395230
FAX: ++49 551/393199
e-mail: becker _at__ mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de