[InetBib] OT: Soliciting for Classcial Library Buildings of the World

[Weiterleitung aus der Mailingliste IFLA-L]

Dear All,

The Shanghai Library is editing a new book entitled Classical Library Buildings
of
the World. Does your library have a classical building? If so , We ask that you
take
a few minutes to fill out the accompanying questionnaire for Dr.Wu Jianzhong,
Director of the Shanghai Library. If not, but you know of other classical
library
buildings please forward this information to us. We will be very pleased if you
could give us your guidence and introduce the well-known classic library
buildings
of the world. Your help will be very important to us. Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Ms. Ren Xiapei
Shanghai Library
1555 Huai Hai Zhong Lu
Shanghai, 200031
China
Fax: 0086-21-64455006

Email: xpren@xxxxxxxxxxxx </src/compose.php?send_to=xpren%40libnet.sh.cn>

Dear Sir/Madam,
Buildings are among the most important physical and spiritual phenomena of
mankind.
They are symbols of a country, a city or a culture. As an important public
building,
the library is often regarded as a temple of knowledge. Because of this,
architects
make their best endeavors to build it into a work of art and a work of
perpetuity.
Library buildings therefore richly reflect the various genres of the
architecture
and thoughts of their times.
The publication, New Library Buildings of the World, published by Shanghai
Scientific & Technological Literature Publishing House in 2003, shows 100
magnificent and colorful library buildings of the world which were completed in
the
past twenty years. With the advice of the IFLA Section of Library Building and
Equipment and to meet the expectations of library professionals and readers, we
are
planning to publish a new book entitled Classical Library Buildings of the
World,
with emphasis on the libraries that are over 100 years old and which have
special
architectural and artistic characteristics.
Before publishing the work, we will make a survey of classical library
buildings all
over the world. Because of the limitations of size, only 60 well chosen
libraries
will be included in this book. Responsibility for making the final selection of
libraries to be included will rest with an international editorial board.
To help the editorial board identify candidate libraries for possible
inclusion, we
would be grateful if you would complete the attached questionnaire and return
it to
the address shown as soon as possible. The book will be published in 2006.
According
to our plan, all the necessary documentation will need to be collected by the
end of
February 2006. Therefore your quick response is highly appreciated.
We would also appreciate your help in identifying other classical library
buildings
in your area or within your knowledge. Your help is important for making this
book a
valuable one. Thank you very much indeed for your cooperation.
Yours sincerely,
Dr. Wu Jianzhong
Director, Shanghai Library
Chief Editor, New Library Buildings of the World, 2003
1555 Huai Hai Zhong Lu,
Shanghai, 200031
China

Questionnaire

Library name:
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_________________________________________________________

Address (contact details): ________________________________________________

Beginning of the construction: ___________________Opening date: _____________

Total floor area (m2): __________Public areas (m2): _________Reading areas (m2):
_________

Number of floors: _______________________

Name of architect: _____________________________________________________

Architectural style of the building: ________________________________________

Administrative affiliation:         ?National          ?Local government

?University        ?Other _____________

Holding capacity (Size of the collection): ___________________________________

Books: __________Bound periodicals: __________Current periodicals: __________

Main features of the collection: ___________________________________________

Types of services provided: ______________________________________________

Types of users served: __________________________________________________

Is the building still used for library purposes?         ?Yes     ?No

(If it is not, it is used for ________________________________________________)

Is the building independent?                       ?Yes     ?No

(If it is not, it is _______________________________________________________)

Please send us at least two photos of your library building, including the
façade
and interior. Please send us PRINTED photos or electronic formats (at least 500
dpi).

Please provide a brief introduction to the Library (about 600 words).

Please send your response by ordinary mail or email to the following address:

--
Petra Hauke M.A.
Hochkalterweg 3a, 12107 Berlin

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group. They
are subversive. You think they are just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and
everything. They're, like, plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them."
Michael Moore
Siehe auch: http://www.slis.indiana.edu/news/story.php?story_id=443