Von: Donald Kerr [mailto:donald.kerr@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Betreff: Alexander Shaw's Tapa cloth book, 1787

**
Dear Colleagues,

I am endeavouring to track down all known copies of A catalogue of the
different specimens of cloth collected in the three voyages of Captain Cook, to
the Southern Hemisphere: with a particular account of the manner of the
manufacturing the same in various Islands of the South Seas; partly extracted
from Mr. Anderson and Reinhold Forster's observations, and the verbal account
of some of the most knowing of the navigators: with some anecdotes that
happened to them among the natives. London: Arranged and printed for Alexander
Shaw, 1787.

Could you provide information on your holdings of this item using the following
fields. The below is a preliminary information gathering exercise, and at this
point I am not worried too much about the sizes of the specimen samples, which
do vary quite a lot from copy to copy, as too their arrangement in the book,
etc.

Institution
Dimensions of Book
Printed Text Present (which should include printed list of samples & their
location, usually 39 in number)
No. of Specimen Samples
Provenance
Approximate date of acquisition by institution
Call/Location Number
Other details: binding information; disbound; additional materials to sample
specimens; the quirky?

I am particularly interested in chasing down all copies, so if you know of
other copies please let me know. If you remember seeing a copy some place,
please let me know. These will be added to list if not known. I intend to cover
those out in the open market, and if possible privately held copies, where
discretion will reign supreme.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers
Donald

**
Dr. Donald Kerr, F.L.S.
Special Collections Librarian
University of Otago
P.O. Box 56
Dunedin, New Zealand
Phone: (03) 479-8330
Email: donald.kerr@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:donald.kerr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
University of Otago Centre for the Book:
www.otago.ac.nz/books/about/<http://www.otago.ac.nz/books/about/>
Bibliographical Society of Australia and New Zealand http://bsanz.org/
**
Current Exhibition: Celebrating Charles Dickens, 1812-1870: A Man of His Age
21 September to 13 December 2012
http://www.library.otago.ac.nz/SpecialCollections/exhibitions.html

**
'Happy, intense absorption in any work, which is to be brought as near to
perfection as possible, this is a state of being with God, and the men who have
not known it have missed life itself.' - D. H. Lawrence

--
http://www.inetbib.de