[InetBib] Code4Lib Journal Issue 29 [apologies for cross posting]

The 29th issue of the Code4Lib Journal is now available at:
http://journal.code4lib.org/issues/issues/issue29

Here is what you will find inside:

Implementing a Bento Style Search in LibGuides v2
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10709/
By Aaron Tay and Feng Yikang
The National University of Singapore Libraries converted their
LibGuides v2 instance into a research portal and incorporated a “bento
box” search interface—that is, an interface where results from
multiple systems or categories are compartmentalized by system or
category, like a Japanese “bento”-style lunch box—on a trial basis.
Our experience shows that building and maintaining a bento box search
in LibGuides requires fewer resources than a fully homegrown solution
would require. This makes it an attractive platform for building a
bento-style search both for libraries who have limited technical
resources and libraries who might want to experiment with this kind of
search before fully committing. This paper shares the design,
implementation and some early usage patterns of our bento search.

Building a Better Book in the Browser (Using Semantic Web technologies
and HTML5)
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10668/
by Jason A. Clark and Scott W. H. Young
The library as place and service continues to be shaped by the legacy
of the book. The book itself has evolved in recent years, with various
technologies vying to become the next dominant book form. In this
article, we discuss the design and development of our prototype
software from Montana State University (MSU) Library for presenting
books inside of web browsers. The article outlines the contextual
background and technological potential for publishing traditional book
content through the web using open standards. Our prototype
demonstrates the application of HTML5, structured data with RDFa and
Schema.org markup, linked data components using JSON-LD, and an
API-driven data model. We examine how this open web model impacts
discovery, reading analytics, eBook production, and
machine-readability for libraries considering how to unite software
development and publishing.

Connecting Historical and Digital Frontiers: Enhancing Access to the
Latah County Oral History Collection Utilizing OHMS (Oral History
Metadata Synchronizer) and Isotope
by Devin Becker and Erin Passehl-Stoddart
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10643/
The University of Idaho Library received a donation of oral histories
in 1987 that were conducted and collected by a local county historical
society in the 1970s. The audio cassettes and transcriptions were
digitized in 2013 and 2014, producing one of the largest digital
collections of oral histories – over 300 interviews and over 569 hours
– in the Pacific Northwest. To provide enhanced access to the
collection, the Digital Initiatives Department employed an open-source
plug-in called the Oral History Metadata Synchronizer (OHMS) – an XML
and PHP driven system that was created at the Louie B. Nunn Center for
Oral History at the University of Kentucky Libraries – to deliver the
audio MP3 files together with their  indexes and transcripts. OHMS
synchronizes the transcribed text with timestamps in the audio and
provides a viewer that connects search results of a transcript to the
corresponding moment in the audio file. This article will discuss how
we created the infrastructure by importing existing metadata,
customized the interface and visual presentation by creating
additional levels of access using complex XML files, enhanced
descriptions using the Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus for
keywords and subjects, and tagged locations discussed in the
interviews that were later connected to Google Maps via latitude and
longitude coordinates. We will also discuss the implementation of and
philosophy behind our use of the layout library Isotope as the primary
point of access to the collection. The Latah County Oral History
Collection is one of the first successful digital collections created
using the OHMS system outside of the University of Kentucky.

3D Adaptive Virtual Exhibit for the University of Denver Digital Collections
by Shea-Tinn Yeh, Jeff Rynhart, Thomas Dressler and Fernando Reyes
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10653/
While the gaming industry has taken the world by storm with its
three-dimensional (3D) user interfaces, current digital collection
exhibits presented by museums, historical societies, and libraries are
still limited to a two-dimensional (2D) interface display. Why can’t
digital collections take advantage of this 3D interface advancement?
The prototype discussed in this paper presents to the visitor a 3D
virtual exhibit containing a set of digital objects from the
University of Denver Libraries’ digital image collections, giving
visitors an immersive experience when viewing the collections. In
particular, the interface is adaptive to the visitor’s browsing
behaviors and alters the selection and display of the objects
throughout the exhibit to encourage serendipitous discovery. Social
media features were also integrated to allow visitors to share items
of interest and to create a sense of virtual community.

Making User Rights Clear: Adding e-resource License Information in
Library Systems
By Jenny Jing, Qinqin Lin, Ahmedullah Sharifi and Mark Swartz
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10724/
Libraries sign a wide variety of licensing agreements that specify
terms of both access and use of a publisher’s electronic collections.
Adding easily accessible licensing information to collections helps
ensure that library users comply with these agreements. This article
will describe the addition of licensing permissions to resource
displays using Mondo [1] by Queen’s University and Scholars Portal (a
service of the Ontario Council of University Libraries) [2] . We will
give a brief introduction to Mondo and explain how we improved Mondo
to add the license permissions to different library systems. The
systems we used are an ILS (Voyager), an OpenURL Link Resolver (360
Link), and a Discovery System (Summon). However, libraries can use
Mondo to add the license permissions to other library systems which
allow user configurations.

Exploring Information Security and Shared Encrypted Spaces in Libraries
By Keith Engwall
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10685/
Libraries are sensitive to the need to protect patron data, but may
not take measures to protect the data of the library. However, in an
increasingly collaborative online environment, the protection of data
is a concern that merits attention. As a follow-up to a new patron
privacy policy, the Oakland University William Beaumont Medical
Library evaluated information security tools for use in day-to-day
operations in an attempt to identify ways to protect private
information in communication and shared storage, as well as a means to
manage passwords in a collaborative team environment. This article
provides an overview of encryption measures, outlines the Medical
Library’s evaluation of encryption tools, and reflects on the benefits
and challenges in their adoption and use.

A Novel Open Source Approach to Monitor EZproxy Users’ Activities
by Qing Zou
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10589/
This article describes using Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana (ELK) to
monitor and visualize EZproxy logs in real time.

Improving Access to Archival Collections with Automated Entity Extraction
by Kyle Banerjee and Max Johnson
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10726/
The complexity and diversity of archival resources make constructing
rich metadata records time consuming and expensive, which in turn
limits access to these valuable materials. However, significant
automation of the metadata creation process would dramatically reduce
the cost of providing access points, improve access to individual
resources, and establish connections between resources that would
otherwise remain unknown.
Using a case study at Oregon Health & Science University as a lens to
examine the conceptual and technical challenges associated with
automated extraction of access points, we discuss using publically
accessible API’s to extract entities (i.e. people, places, concepts,
etc.) from digital and digitized objects. We describe why Linked Open
Data is not well suited for a use case such as ours. We conclude with
recommendations about how this method can be used in archives as well
as for other library applications.

The Geospatial Metadata Manager’s Toolbox: Three Techniques for
Maintaining Records
By Bruce Godfrey and Jeremy Kenyon
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10601
Managing geospatial metadata records requires a range of techniques.
At the University of Idaho Library, we have tens of thousands of
records which need to be maintained as well as the addition of new
records which need to be normalized and added to the collections. We
show a graphical user interface (GUI) tool that was developed to make
simple modifications, a simple XSLT that operates on complex metadata,
and a Python script with enables parallel processing to make
maintenance tasks more efficient. Throughout, we compare these
techniques and discuss when they may be useful.

Barriers to Initiation of Open Source Software Projects in Libraries
by Curtis Thacker and Charles Knutson
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/10665/
Libraries share a number of core values with the Open Source Software
(OSS) movement, suggesting there should be a natural tendency toward
library participation in OSS projects. However Dale Askey’s 2008
Code4Lib column entitled “We Love Open Source Software. No, You Can’t
Have Our Code,” claims that while libraries are strong proponents of
OSS, they are unlikely to actually contribute to OSS projects. He
identifies, but does not empirically substantiate, six barriers that
he believes contribute to this apparent inconsistency. In this study
we empirically investigate not only Askey’s central claim but also the
six barriers he proposes. In contrast to Askey’s assertion, we find
that initiation of and contribution to OSS projects are, in fact,
common practices in libraries. However, we also find that these
practices are far from ubiquitous; as Askey suggests, many libraries
do have opportunities to initiate OSS projects, but choose not to do
so. Further, we find support for only four of Askey’s six OSS
barriers. Thus, our results confirm many, but not all, of Askey’s
assertions.

--
Péter Király
software developer