[InetBib] Call for Reviews: "Tools and Environments for Digital Scholarly Editing"

Liebe Liste,

hiermit leite ich Ihnen einen Aufruf zur Einreichung von Besprechungen von Werkzeugen und Anwendungen zur Erstellung digitaler Editionen weiter.

Mindestens genauso interessant für diejenigen, die daran Interesse haben, ein Kriterienkatalog zur Besprechung und Evaluation ebensolcher digitaler Werkzeuge und Anwendungen, zu finden unter:
https://www.i-d-e.de/publikationen/weitereschriften/criteria-tools-version-1/

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Franz Fischer

--

Call for Reviews

The Institute for Documentology and Scholarly Editing (IDE) is calling for reviews for a special issue of the journal RIDE, dedicated to Tools and Environments for Digital Scholarly Editing (DSE):
https://www.i-d-e.de/cfr-tools/

To guide reviewers through the review process and to create a structure for the evaluation, we provide Criteria for Reviewing Digital Tools and Environments for DSE that are supposed to be applicable to various types of resources. The guidelines (Version 1.0) can be found here:
https://www.i-d-e.de/publikationen/weitereschriften/criteria-tools-version-1/

Reviews will be accepted until the 31st of May 2019.

We kindly ask you to email us before start reviewing a tool at ride-tools (at) i-d-e.de with a suggestion of which resource you would like to review and with a short explanation of your affiliation and area of expertise. This is important in order to avoid multiple reviews of the same tool.

Background

In the introduction to his book Software takes command (Bloomsbury Publishing, 2013) Lev Manovich states that "software has become our interface to the world, to others, to our memory and our imagination". Is the same happening in the world of digital scholarly editing? Certainly we cannot ignore their fundamental role in our daily scholarly practices and in the interactions with our objects of study. Insofar as tools shape scholarly editions, they also shape scholarly editing.

A new RIDE issue is devoted to tools for digital scholarly editing. The aim of this issue is to:

 * contribute to the discussion about tooling in Digital Humanities,
 * bring to the forefront the instruments instead of the final products,
 * provide a venue for discussing best practices in the development and
   usage of tools,
 * list useful resources for all those involved in scholarly editing.

Beyond that, we hope that the critical examination of digital tools draws greater attention to the (scholarly) achievements that their creation and maintenance imply.

The journal RIDE was founded in 2014 to "provide a forum in which expert peers criticise and discuss the efforts of digital editors in order to improve current practices and advance future developments" (RIDE Editorial). RIDE is Open Access, reviews are published as HTML and downloadable as TEI. All reviews will be peer reviewed in order to reach a high quality level of the evaluations. The special issue on Digital Tools and Environments for DSE will be edited by Anna-Maria Sichani (University of Sussex) and Elena Spadini (University of Lausanne).
Submission details

Reviews are accepted in English, French, Italian, and Spanish. The length of the review can vary depending on how much the resource offers that is worthy of discussion (approximately 2000-5000 words).

Please submit your review at ride-tools (at) i-d-e.de  as an editable text file (preferably, but not necessarily docx to facilitate the conversion to TEI). Please send illustrations as separate image files (jpg or png) and leave a note in the text as a placeholder for each image. In addition to the text, we collect keywords. Each review should be accompanied by a short abstract in English, independently of the language used in the main text.

For further information please check the general RIDE guidelines and information on writing and submitting:
http://ride.i-d-e.de/reviewers/guidelines/
http://ride.i-d-e.de/reviewers/writing-and-submitting/

The questionnaire mentioned in the submission checklist has been designed for scholarly digital editions so far. We will keep you informed about how to proceed with the questionnaire for this special issue.

All reviews will be peer reviewed in order to reach a high quality level of the evaluations. We believe that this is important because the evaluation of digital scholarly resources usually requires a double expertise in digital methods as well as in individual disciplines. This is also to increase the credit for reviews.
Suggestions for review

The following list is merely alphabetically and not comprehensive:

 * Annotation Studio <http://www.annotationstudio.org/>
 * Apache OpenNLP <https://opennlp.apache.org/>
 * CATview <http://catview.uzi.uni-halle.de/>
 * Classical Text Editor <http://cte.oeaw.ac.at/>
 * CollateX <http://collatex.net/>
 * CorrespSearch <https://correspsearch.net/>
 * CWRC-Writer <https://github.com/cwrc/CWRC-WriterBase>
 * Digital Mappa <https://digitalmappa.org/>
 * ecdosis <http://ecdosis.rocks>
 * ediarum <http://www.bbaw.de/en/telota/software/ediarum>
 * eLaborate <http://elaborate.huygens.knaw.nl/>
 * EVT <http://evt.labcd.unipi.it/>
 * FreeLing 4.0 <http://nlp.lsi.upc.edu/freeling/>
 * FromThePage <https://fromthepage.com/>
 * FuD <https://fud.uni-trier.de/>
 * Image Markup Tool <https://tapor.uvic.ca/~mholmes/image_markup/>
 * Juxta Commons <http://juxtacommons.org/>
 * Kiln <http://kcl-ddh.github.io/kiln/>
 * LombardPress <http://lombardpress.org/>
 * ManuscriptDesk <https://manuscriptdesk.uantwerpen.be/md/Main_Page>
 * MOM-CA <https://github.com/icaruseu/mom-ca/wiki>
 * New Testament Virtual Manuscript Room (NTVMR)
   <http://ntvmr.uni-muenster.de/de/manuscript-workspace>
 * Omeka <https://omeka.org/>
 * oXygen <http://oxygenxml.com/>
 * PhiloEditor <http://site1705.web.cs.unibo.it/phed/>
 * Scripto <http://scripto.org/>
 * Stanford NLP <https://nlp.stanford.edu/software/>
 * T-Pen <http://www.t-pen.org/TPEN/>
 * TEI Critical Apparatus Toolbox <http://teicat.huma-num.fr/>
 * TEI-Publisher
   <http://teipublisher.com/exist/apps/tei-publisher-home/index.html>
 * TextGrid <https://textgrid.de/en/>
 * Pundit <http://thepund.it/>
 * Transcribo <http://transcribo.org/en/>
 * Transkribus <https://transkribus.eu/Transkribus/>
 * TUSTEP <http://www.tustep.uni-tuebingen.de/tustep_eng.html>
 * Versioning Machine <http://v-machine.org/>
 * WMRCRE <http://vmrcre.org/>
 * Zooniverse <https://www.zooniverse.org/>

More Digital Tools and Environments can be found on dedicated lists and in catalogs, for example:

 * TEI-Wiki Editing Tools
   <https://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Category:Editing_tools> ( last
   modified on 2015-02-20)
 * DIRT <http://dirtdirectory.org> (last update 2015-04-24)