Re: oclc

Monika Cremer writes:
>welche Bibliotheken nutzen bereits OCLC FirstSearch? Ist FirstSearch
>in der Bibliothek via IVS zugaenglich  oder koennen die Benutzer
>selber damit arbeiten?

In the Netherlands 11 of the 40 FirstSearch databases are available for end
users through the university libraries of Rotterdam, Groningen, Amsterdam,
Twente and Tilburg. The service uses the Pica OPAC interface with a Z39.50 link
from Pica in Leiden to OCLC in Ohio.
The use of the Pica OPAC ensures integration in the local library system and
makes the system easy to use.

Currently the databases are being evaluated. One negative comment I heared was
that the information is very 'american'. Relevant references to european
articles are sometimes missing.

An important positive aspect of the service is that it is available everywhere
where you can get access to the internet, X.25 network or a modem connection to
the library system. This means you don't need to go to the library and you can
work late in the evenings.

Hans Schermer
hans.schermer _at__ pica.nl

Disclaimer: My opinion is not neccessarily that of my employer.