Oeffentliche Bibliotheken im Netz

Mail von Lorcan Dempsey, ALA, weitergeleitet an INETBIB

January 19, the National Commission on Libraries and Information Science
announced a new document:

http://www.nclis.gov/news/98msg/msg011998.html

Policy Issues & Strategies Affecting Public Libraries in the National
Networked Environment:
Moving Beyond Connectivity

The press announcement notes it is "on-line in pdf format. This special
report was prepared by John Carlo Bertot and Charles R. McClure at the
Commission's request to follow up on the 1997 survey of public libraries
and the Internet, co-sponsored by the National Commission on Libraries
and
Information Science with the American Library Association."

I downloaded and read this yesterday--in fact, it was so compelling I
read
it in one sitting, end to end--and strongly recommend it to public
librarians, trustees, library friends and others as a powerful and
important report that speaks to the future of public libraries.  There
are
several important messages in this report: one is that we must move past
measuring Internet access in terms of simple connectivity; another is
that
we must find new ways to measure and report the use of networked
services;
yet another is that we need more precise and standardized tools for
gathering data about the cost of Internet access.

Here are some quotes to whet your interest:

"The vision of *connecting* libraries and schools, while a useful first
step in the NII, will not in and of itself necessarily ensure the
successful *use* and *application* of the information superhighway
[Author's emphasis]. A range of issues other than connectivity requires
attention and debate."

"Subtle but important differences are evident between the funding
guidelines proposed by IMLS and those traditionally produced under the
LSCA."

"The lack of clear and reasonably precise cost data [for Internet
services
in public libraries]... means that studies such as the 1997 Study will
more
than likely *under report* the actual cost of national public library
connectivity [Author's emphasis]."

"One-shot fixes for IT in public libraries is not a viable policy
strategy."

"Conversations with a number of study respondents confirm that many
public
libraries have yet to recognize adequately the ongoing nature of IT
costs
and to develop funding strategies to support these costs."

A good companion to this piece is:

1997 National Survey of Public Libraries and the Internet: Summary
Results
http://www.ala.org/oitp/research/plcon97sum/

The full report will be out... soon, I hope, since the Policy Issues
report
references a number of things not in the Summary Results.
DBI - Deutsches Bibliotheksinstitut - German Libraries Institute, BERLIN
 - Hans-Peter Thun -
Luisenstr.57, D 10117 Berlin * Tel. 030-231 19 -421, Fax -410
mailto:thun _at__ dbi-berlin.de * http://www.dbi-berlin.de