[Fwd: Attention Libraries on the Web]

For Your Information
Dr.Klaus Junkes-Kirchen
Fachbereichsbibliothek Wirtschaftswissenschaften
Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universitaet Frankfurt am Main
Tel.: ++49 (+)69 798 22217
WWW: http://www.wiwi.uni-frankfurt.de/FBB/FBBhome.html

--- Begin Message ---
I have been asked to post this for SCOUG. Please check the SCOUG web
page
http://www.cwire.com/SCOUG
Bill Richardson

ATTENTION ALL ACADEMIC, PUBLIC, AND SPECIAL LIBRARIES ON THE WEB!

If your library is doing something new and different on the Web, and you
wouldn't mind letting the world know about it, we would like to hear
from
you.   We are the Southern California Online Users Group?otherwise
affectionately known as SCOUG, and this April 4th, we are putting a
full-day program called:

WORKING ON THE WEB
HOW LIBRARIES & OTHERS ARE USING THE WORLD WIDE WEB TO TRANSFORM
TRADITIONAL INFORMATION SERVICES
(see attached flyer for further information)

A major portion of the program will be dedicated to showcasing
innovative
library applications on the Web.  We are particularly interested in real
cutting-edge Web sites that demonstrate the potential for library
services
on the Web.  Examples might include?.but are not limited to?.

Libraries sites that are taking advantage of new Web technologies such
as
streaming media, video conferencing, push technologies, Java and
ActiveX,
and other recent developments.

Libraries that have built a very high level of functionality into their
sites...that is libraries with sites that allow you to search the
catalog,
check out a book and request it be delivered to you, find and read the
full
text of periodicals and reference works, check out a reserve reading,
ask a
reference question and get an answer, and other traditional library
applications that heretofore required you actually visit our buildings.

Libraries that are experimenting with Web technologies to handle
traditional catalog and circulation functions.   We are especially
interested in hearing from any library that is using one of the Internet
Search Engines to search its catalog, or from any library that has moved
its circulation system to the Web.  Note:  we are talking about pure Web
applications here?not just a Web interface to standard library
automation
software.

Libraries that are using the Web to develop innovative resource sharing
applications?including virtual union catalogs, shared collection
development over the Web, shared reference and information services over
the Web, shared training and staff development, and any other ways you
all
may have discovered to work together over the Net.

Libraries that are using the Web to provide high-level information
services
directly to desktops, including programs providing information support
services to distance education or remote corporate offices, public
libraries using
the Web to extend services (not just links) to directly to schools and
homes in their
communities, libraries providing homework assistance over the Web,  and
other applications where the Web is used to extend the reach of library
services.

Libraries that have done an exemplary job of organizing and publishing
content over the Web.

Libraries that are using the Web to pioneer new forms of knowledge
organization and retrieval such as knowledge maps, and other graphical
systems for displaying information.

And dozens and dozens of other applications we probably haven't even
dreamt
of yet.
--------------------------------------

If your library has a working Web Site that illustrates any of these or
other innovative applications of Web technologies to libraries---no
matter
who you are or where you are located---the Southern California Online
Users
Group would like to hear from you.    Please send us an email message
with
your URL and a brief one-paragraph description of your innovative
application to:

SCOUG
c/o Steve Coffman
coffman _at__ cerf.net

All sites must be submitted by March 15th in order to be considered.
Foreign submissions are particularly welcome.  Libraries only please.
Vendors and others with commercial applications should contact Lynn
Ecklund, SCOUG Vendor Representative at SCOUG c/o Seek Information
Services
at Seek _at__ ix.netcom.com for information on presenting or exhibiting at the
program.

All sites submitted will be included in a "webliography"  for Working On
the Web, and?here's the important part?.we will be selecting four or
five
of the most interesting and representative sites for a live
demonstration
during the Great Library Web Sites section of the program moderated by
Mark
Stover, Director of Library and Information Services at the Phillips
Graduate Institute.  Selected sites will also be written-up in Doris
Helfer's "Leading Libraries" column in Searcher magazine.

If your site is one of those selected for the live demonstration we
would
like to invite you to Los Angeles to present your site in person (figure
on
a 10-15 minute presentation).  We can offer all presenters complementary
program registration, lunch, and special rates on the hotel?but we can't
cover your travel expenses.   If your library's site is selected for a
live
demonstration, but you can't make it to LA to present it yourself, SCOUG
will assign a surrogate who will work with you (by phone or email) to
develop an effective presentation of your site for the program.

We look forward to hearing from you all?if you have any questions please
feel free to contact me at any of numbers listed below:

Sincerely,

Stephen Coffman
Director, FYI
County of Los Angeles Public Library