Re: Real-Time-Auskunft

Danke für die Hinweise, vor allem auf den BuB-Artikel!
Heute kam in LIBREFED noch eine sehr nachvollziebare
Begründung PRO Real-Time-Auskunft rein: ( kopierter Text folgt)
One of the reasons we decided to offer a reference chat service is
that we make available over 140 research databases, but we were
concerned about how our users would find the help they needed.  This
can simply be a student who doesn't want to give up their computer in
order to come over to the Reference Desk or it can be somebody
dialing in from off-campus.  So many people use their telephone line
to connect to the Internet and those without cell phone might not be
able to call on the telephone to ask for help.  A chat reference
service can allow you to walk them through a search or to find the
answer and then push them the page.

I've never been a person for chat rooms, so I had to get used to the
software, but the students mostly took to it very easily.  If you don't use
chat rooms, you might find this more "user friendly" than "librarian
friendly."  Many of the students already use chat rooms, so they found it
very comfortable to use.  You might say this is "virtual roving" because
users can contact us from whatever computer they're using, not just from
computers in the Reference area.  We started with the free HumanClick and
now use LSSI.

Carol Singer
(kopierter Text - Ende)
Interessant finde ich auch, daßanscheinend viele Bibliotheken  die
Auskunfts-'Outsourcing'-Möglichkeit der Software 'Virtual Reference
Desk' begrüßen und nutzen, einige diese aber auch recht bedenklich
finden...
Gruß und Schönen Tag noch!
B. Aust

Brigitte Aust
-Hochschulbibliothek-    Tel.: 0211/4351-556
FH Duesseldorf           Fax.: 0211/4351-559
Georg-Glock-Str. 15      E-Mail: Brigitte.Aust _at__ fh-duesseldorf.de
D-40474 Duesseldorf