Call for papers - IFLA Reference Work Section

Liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen,

anbei leite ich als Mitglied der Reference Work Section der IFLA einen
Aufruf zum Einreichen von Vortraegen weiter. Ansprechpartnerin ist die
Kollegin Bodil Woehnert aus Esbjerg, DK. Fuer Rueckfragen stehe
selbstverstaendlich auch ich zur Verfuegung.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen aus Berlin

Uwe Schwersky

#########################

CALL FOR PAPERS
70th IFLA General Conference, Buenos Aires, Argentina
22-27 August, 2004

The Reference Work Section is hosting an open session in Buenos Aires on
the "Librarian Toolkit for the 21st Century: Tools Librarians need
to deliver information."

Theme and objectives:
As librarians, we have a particular responsibility to provide the means
to implement fully a vision for an equitable and inclusive information
society, one that bridges the information gap between the rich and the
poor.
The general theme for the open session is 'Addressing the Digital
Divide' - and through the presentation of papers and discussion, we hope
provide both professional perspectives and practical guidance to ensure
that information professionals have the tools they need to link people
with the information they need.  Our theme is linked to the overall
conference theme 'Libraries: tools for education and development', and
IFLA President Kay Raseroka's theme of lifelong learning.

The objective for our Session is to demonstrate how reference
professionals acquire the skills they need to disseminate information
effectively
to their local communities.
Special emphasis will be placed on assisting professionals with meeting
information needs in developing countries where poor infrastructures
can adversely affect the  flow of information. Information shared will
address both practical and theoretical issues.

During the session a panel of experts will discuss the programmes
presented, in order to share knowledge and to consider further work of
this
kind.

Topics for papers according to the Reference Section's Strategic Plan
(http://www.ifla.org/VII/s36/annual/sp36.htm ):
*Case studies addressing issues of professional education and
development
*Cooperation and networking
*Challenges faced/overcome
*The Role of Standards and Best practices in Information Dissemination
*Supporting the Role of Libraries in Society
*Promoting Literacy, Reading and Lifelong Learning
*Addressing the Digital Divide
*The librarian as the information broker and knowing consultant.
*The Librarian as the communicator and mediator.
*Marketing library services
*IT in Libraries

How to submit a proposal:
Proposals, in English, French or Spanish (300-500 words) should be sent
to the address below, by 20th January 2004.
Final papers should not exceed 20 minutes in length when read aloud.

Bodil Wöhnert
Reference Librarian - Central Library in Esbjerg
Norregade 19 - DK 6700 Esbjerg. Denmark
Mail: bow _at__ esbjergkommune.dk

Note: No financial support can be provided, but a formal invitation will
be issued to the authors of accepted papers. Papers must be submitted in
one of the five official IFLA languages (English, French, German,
Russian, Spanish).

--
Uwe Schwersky
Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin 10772 Berlin