[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[InetBib] finding a new colleague for CERN
- Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 18:12:47 +0100
- From: "Altenhoener, Reinhard" <R.Altenhoener@xxxxxxx>
- Subject: [InetBib] finding a new colleague for CERN
ein Kollege vom CERN bat mich, dieses Angebot zu verteilen. Mach ich gerne, das
CERN ist eine spannende Adresse.
D-60322 Frankfurt am Main
Would you like to work at CERN, at the frontiers of knowledge and
cutting-edge technology? We are among the largest and leading research centres
in the world and we just started operation of the Large Hadron Collider, "the
big-bang machine", which will usher a new era of scientific discovery. We enjoy
a diverse, thriving and multicultural work environment, in the heart of Europe,
at the outskirts of beautiful Geneva in Switzerland.
We are searching for a dynamic, enthusiastic and motivated person to
join the CERN Library.
The CERN Library [http://library.cern.ch <http://library.cern.ch/> ]
serves 2'500 scientific, technical and administrative CERN staff, 10'000 CERN
users from 85 countries, and the worldwide High-Energy Physics (HEP) community.
The Library supports their work with its highly specialised holdings: books,
scientific journals and standards. These collections are available as physical
media and increasingly in electronic form. In addition, with our 25 permanent
and temporary staff, students and interns we are responsible for the content of
CDS [http://cds.cern.ch <http://cds.cern.ch/> ], the CERN Institutional
Repository including scientific manuscripts, an archive of CERN documents,
educational multimedia content and much more; we collaborate with other HEP
laboratories to launch INSPIRE [http://www.projecthepinspire.net
<http://www.projecthepinspire.net/> ], a next-generation digital library for
HEP; we play a leading role in promoting Open Access publishing through the
SCOAP3 project [http://scoap3.org <http://scoap3.org/> ].
The successful candidate will be fully integrated in our activities,
report to the Head of Library Services, and will primarily:
- take responsibility for acquisition processes and their innovationsin
particular for the book and e-book collections;
- oversee quality assurance of library services, participating to the
supervision of staff and students/interns;
- manage quality assurance of the library catalogue metadata, as well
as selected collections within CDS and INSPIRE;
- coordinate and innovate the maintenance of the library catalogue,
providing guidance and direction to cataloguers;
- research and propose solutions for the continued optimisation of
metadata ingestion and catalogue display.
- university education, preferably in a scientific discipline, and
formal library qualifications;
- in-depth knowledge of library services in a research or university
- demonstrated ability to handle complex library cataloguing issues;
- sound knowledge of relevant information resources, preferably within
the field of physics;
- proven ability for creative, innovative and analytical thinking,
leading to the implementation of practical solutions;
- flexibility and willingness to adapt to the new challenges of the
evolving information environment;
- ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team;
- willingness to take on responsibilities and ability to take
initiative, supervise staff and work independently;
- excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate in both
written and oral forms.
What we offer:
- Contract duration: Five years, with one year probation. Subject to
certain conditions, an indefinite contract may be granted during this period.
- Financial conditions: Extremely competitive and tax-free staff
salaries are calculated individually and are based on experience and
qualifications. Staff automatically join CERN's pension fund.
- Leave: Staff are entitled to 2.5 days paid leave per month, plus two
weeks at Christmas and a few other local holidays.
- Health insurance: Staff and their dependents are covered by CERN's
generous and comprehensive health insurance scheme.
- Other benefits: Staff are entitled to travel expenses for themselves
and their family, an installation grant, family allowance, school allowance and
Further details on the job can be obtained from Jens.Vigen@xxxxxxx,
CERN Head Librarian.
To read the full information concerning the job, and to apply, please
Applications received by January 4th, 2010 will be treated
Listeninformationen unter http://www.inetbib.de.