[InetBib] CfP ELAG 2010

Liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen,

ich möchte Sie auf den Call for Papers der European Library Automation Group
(ELAG) für die Konferenz am 9.-11. Juni 2010 in Helsinki, Finnland aufmerksam
machen.

Einen Bericht zur letzten ELAG Konferenz von Anne Christensen finden Sie unter:

http://www.bi-international.de/download/file/KB-2009%20Bericht%20Christensen%20ELAG.pdf

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Patrick Danowski
Emerging Technologies Librarian (Fellow)

CERN Library

Call for papers for the 34th ELAG conference, 9-11th June 2010,
“Meeting New User Expectations”
Helsinki, Finland

The ELAG (European Library Automation Group) Conference is Europe’s premier
conference for library and information management technology. The meetings aim
at in depth discussions of particular library automation topics and at the
promotion of informal exchange of ideas and experience. The topics covered are
technical and meant for participants with an appropriate technical background.

We invite you to submit a paper on this year’s main topic “Meeting New User
Expectations”.

You will find more information about ELAG, the topic and its sub-themes below.

Information about the conference can be found at:
http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/ .

The paper should be submitted from http://indico.cern.ch/event/elag2010 .
Here you will also find more information about the Call for Papers.

How to submit a paper:

1) Go to http://indico.cern.ch/event/elag2010
2) Press: login, and create your user account
3) Choose Call for abstracts, and then Submit a new abstract

The papers will be reviewed by the ELAG 2010 Programme Committee,
http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/about/programme-committee/ .

The abstract submitted should not be longer than one A4 page.

The deadline is February 15th 2010.

If you have any questions concerning the Call for papers, please contact one of
the co-chairs of the programme committee:

Kristin Olofsson, kristin.olofsson@xxxxx

Roy Gundersen, roy.gundersen@xxxxxxxxx

Meeting New User Expectations

Users’ perspective on information retrieval is largely shaped by web
experiences. Accordingly libraries are feeling pressure to adapt their services
in line with new user expectations. Bibliographic databases are no exception to
this and users expect them to come up with the most relevant information on the
first page of a search result. Thus the challenge for use is “How can we make
relevance ranking work in bibliographic databases?”

Search engines and web experiences have led users expect to get to a resource
instantaneously. How do we fulfil this need when large parts of our services
are still based around paper material? In a new style library catalogue, users
do not expect to find just journal titles, but also expect articles within
these journals to be found. What strategies do libraries use to fulfil this
wish? As well, Library catalogue records are now harvested by Google and other
search engines. Are we able to expose our meta-data to these engines for useful
re use and cross referencing? Are we able to expose the richness of our
bibliographic databases to the web using semantic web technologies like linked
data? Are we ready for the E-book readers? What do libraries do to archive our
E-memory? Are our new discovery interfaces understood by our users? Do we know
our users?

Sub themes of the conference

These can be found here:
http://elag2010.nationallibrary.fi/conference/sub-themes/