[InetBib] PKP 2011: Call for Participation

**Apologies for Cross-Posting**

The Third International PKP Scholarly Publishing Conference

Building and Sustaining Alternative Scholarly Publishing Projects Around the
World

The Public Knowledge Project is pleased to announce that, in partnership with
the Freie Universität Berlin, the Third International PKP Scholarly Publishing
Conference (http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/pkp/index.php/pkp2011/pkp2011) will be held
from September 26 - 28, 2011 in Berlin, Germany. This is the first time that
the PKP Conference is being held outside of Vancouver, Canada, and we look
forward to meeting more members of the growing, international PKP user
community. Given that the landmark Budapest Open Access Initiative, launched in
December 2001, will be celebrating its first decade, the conference invites
explorations of the lessons learned, successes achieved, and setbacks overcome
in our shared attempts to increase and open access within scholarly publishing.
The first and second PKP conferences brought together a remarkable array of
presentations and participants from around the world, and we anticipate an
equally valuable experience in 2011.

Proposals that address one or more of the following topics are especially
encouraged:

* New reading and publishing technologies, e.g., integration of Web 2.0
features;

* Reports on national and regional open access policies and initiatives;

* Alternative publishing and funding models;

* National and international collaborative projects;

* New roles and partnerships for libraries, scholarly publishers, and others;

* Sustainability for open access publishing and open source software.

The conference will consist of a mixture of plenary presentations, panel
discussions, brief "lightning talks," posters, workshops, a hackfest, an
exhibitor hall, and parallel conference sessions in the following streams:

* Editors, publishers, and librarians

* Researchers and members of scholarly/scientific societies

* Software developers and system administrators

* Community/User groups

Parallel sessions will each be up to 20 minutes in length. Lightning Talks and
"Ask a Developer" presentations are limited to 5 minutes each. Sessions may
consist of a case study, a research report, a "big idea" in publishing, as well
as other options.

Proposals (500 word maximum) should be submitted by March 15, 2011, using the
submission guidelines and form available on our web site
(http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/pkp/index.php/pkp2011/pkp2011/about/submissions). All
proposals will be subject to peer-review and you will be informed of a decision
by June 1, 2011. Due to the strong interest in this year's conference, only a
limited number of sessions will be accepted.

We hope to see you in Berlin in 2011!

Your PKP Conference Team
--
http://www.inetbib.de