[InetBib] Semiotischer Thesaurus

Liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen,

da ich nun auch von NEDBIB-L gefragt worden bin "what is meant with a 'definitorischen semiotischen Thesaurus'" vielleicht auch hier in Kürze.

The idea of a semiotic thesaurus with term definitions, is similar to alphabetic lexical systems like Wikipedia, but structured with typical hierarchical, associative and linked logic relations, or mathematical equations. All terms are linked with broader and narrower terms.

If we define
TERE:  = Library
DEF: = The library is an institution that is collecting and arranging under archival, economic and synoptic points of view published information for the users, and make it available. [translated from "Lehrbuch des Bibliotheksmanagements" 2011] EXP: = This definition includes also the Digital Library and excludes Archives or secret documentation centers. All narrower terms like School Library, Research Library, University Library … have to fullfill this definition. If we have for instance F = m x a (force is mass multiplied by acceleration) then we have the three definitions for F, m = F/a and a = F/m.

All parts of the records (frames) contain the fields (slots) for inferences.

TERE:  = Term in Englisch
TERFR: = Term in French
TERES: = Term in Spanisch
TERDU: = Term in Dutch
ABR:   = Abbrevation or Acronym
ETY:   = Etymology
DEF:   = Definition
HIS:   = History of the term in the thesaurus
EXP:   = Explanation
SCO:   = Scope Notes
VAL:   = Value (e.g. speed of light)
DIA:   = Diagram - graphiscs
EXA:   = Examples
EXC:   = Exceptions of clear definition
HOM:   = Homonyms
ANT:   = Antonyms
SYN:   = Synonyms
BRO:   = Broader Terms
REL:   = Related Terms
NAR:   = Narrower Terms
SOU:   = Sources, References
CIT:   = Citations

All fields can be completed by metadata, so that e.g. personal names can be amended by <birthday> 23.4.1858</birthday>

The system can be worked out in teamwork, because everyone can find his place in the terminological network. In many textbooks and encyclopedias with multiple authors we find contradictory statements, but in such an organic thesaurus system there should be a much greater homogeneity. Most probable we need more than one such semiotic thesaurus to find out the competitive best model or world view.

In my opinion, such a semiotic thesaurus should be hosted in a native XML database like MarkLogic.

This here only in brief as a simple example.

Yours sincerely
Walther Umstaetter

--
http://www.inetbib.de