[InetBib] Registration for COAR-SPARC Conference now open!

Dear all,

COAR and SPARC are delighted to announce their upcoming joint conference,
Connecting Research Results, Bridging Communities, Opening Scholarship on April
15th and 16th in Porto, Portugal. Registration is now open!

Click
here<https://www.coar-repositories.org/community/events/annual-meeting-2015/registration/>
 to register for the 2015 COAR-SPARC Conference

Co-hosted by the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC)
and the Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR), the meeting will
offer a thought-provoking program with dynamic speakers from around the world
to discuss the opportunities and challenges for libraries in a world of open
science and open content, provide a valuable opportunity for participants to
make connections, and learn best practices from colleagues around the world.

The conference is deliberately structured to deliver both an overview of the
most important policy and philosophical developments as well as pragmatic
sessions to help participants become more effective in their roles on a
day-to-day basis. Featured keynote speakers include:

  *   John Wilbanks, Chief Commons Officer, Sage Bionetworks

  *   Dominique Babini, Coordinator of Open Access Projects, CLACSO

The intended audience for the conference are library directors, librarians and
repository managers, researchers, university administrators, funding agencies,
and students.

Space is limited, so please register early! 100 places are reserved for COAR
and SPARC members.

The early bird conference rates if you register before March 13, 2015:

  *   €55.50 EUR for COAR and SPARC members (approximately $65 US)

  *   €105.50 EUR for non-members (approximately $120 US)

After March 13, 2015

  *   €80.50 EUR for COAR and SPARC members (approximately $92 US)

  *   €105.50 EUR for non-members (approximately $120 US)

Please visit the SPARC and COAR
websites<https://www.coar-repositories.org/news-media/coar-sparc-conference-2015-connecting-research-results-bridging-communities-opening-scholarship/>
 for more details and to register for the conference.

The conference will offer a poster session. Posters can be submitted while
registering for the conference or emailed to Maxie Putlitz at
putlitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:putlitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> by March
13, 2015.

We hope you are able to join us in Porto, Portugal!

Kind regards,
Maxie Putlitz
COAR Office

—————

Connecting Research Results, Bridging Communities, Opening Scholarship

In a rapidly evolving world, academic and research institutions must think
about becoming agents of change, with greater flexibility and responsiveness
than ever before. Part of this change is a shift away from the notion that
researchers simply conduct research and produce publications, but rather the
research community itself must begin to take on responsibility for ensuring
research outputs are widely and openly disseminated, properly curated, and
preserved. In this sense, the institution becomes one node in a larger,
interconnected network of content producers and stewards.

There are both challenges and opportunities inherent in this new environment.
For instance, how do we create a seamless global research network in which all
countries and researchers can participate? How can we evaluate research outputs
based on their quality, and not on whether they are attached to a prestige
publication? How can we manage increasingly large and complex data to support
new modes of science and innovation? And how can we ensure that content is
appropriately licensed, annotated and preserved to allow it to be re-used and
integrated with other related content? Clearly, libraries and institutions must
forge new partnerships, nurture new skills and competencies, and develop new
organizational structures.

This conference, co-hosted by SPARC and COAR, will address some of the
important challenges facing our libraries as we attempt to re-define our roles
in an age of constant flux.

--
COAR e. V. Office
c/o Göttingen State and University Library

+49 551 39-22215 (Tel.)
+49 551 39-5222 (Fax)
office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:coar-office@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://coar-repositories.org/