[InetBib] Call for Proposals for Open Repositories 2016: Illuminating the World

Call for Proposals for Open Repositories 2016: Illuminating the World

The Eleventh International Conference on Open Repositories, OR2016, will be
held on June 13th-16th, 2016 in Dublin, Ireland. The organizers are pleased to
issue this call for contributions to the program.

As previous Open Repositories have demonstrated, the use of digital
repositories to manage research, scholarly and cultural information is well
established and increasingly mature. Entering our second decade, we have an
opportunity to reflect on where we've been and, more importantly, where we're
heading. New development continues apace, and we've reached the time when many
organizations are exploring expansive connections with larger processes both
inside and outside traditional boundaries. Open Repositories 2016 will explore
how our rich collections and infrastructure are now an inherent part of
contemporary scholarship and research and how they have expanded to touch many
aspects of our academic and cultural enterprises.

The theme of OR2016 is "Illuminating the World." OR2016 will provide an
opportunity to explore the ways in which repositories and related
infrastructure and processes:

·         bring different disciplines, collections, and people to light;

·         expose research, scholarship, and collections from developing
countries;

·         increase openness of collections, software, data and workflows;

·         highlight data patterns and user pathways through collections; and

·         how we can organize to better support these - and other -
infrastructures.

We welcome proposals on these ideas, but also on the theoretical, practical,
technical, organizational or administrative topics related to digital
repositories.  Submissions that demonstrate original and repository-related
work outside of these themes will be considered, but preference will be given
to submissions which address them. We are particularly interested in the
following themes.

1.  Supporting Open Scholarship, Open Data, and Open Science

Papers are invited to consider how repositories can best support the needs of
open science and open scholarship to make research as accessible and useful as
possible, including:

·           Open access, open data and open educational resources

·           Scholarly workflows, publishing and communicating scientific
knowledge

·           Exposure of research and scholarship from developing countries and
under-resourced communities and disciplines

·           Compliance with funder mandates

2. Repositories and Cultural Heritage

Papers are invited to consider how repositories and their associated
infrastructures best support the needs of cultural heritage collections,
organizations, and researchers. Areas of interest include:

·           Impact of aggregation on repository infrastructure and management

·           Exposure of collections and cultural heritage from developing
countries and under-resourced communities and disciplines

·           Special considerations in access and use of cultural heritage
collections

·           Reuse and analysis of content.

3. Repositories of high volume and/or complex data and collections

Papers are invited to consider how we can use tools and processes to highlight
data patterns and user pathways through large corporas including:

·           Data and text mining

·           Entity recognition

·           Linked data

·           Standardized interfaces

·           Interaction with large-scale computation and simulation processes

·           Issues of scale and size beyond traditional repository contexts

4. Managing Research Data, Software, and Workflows

Papers are invited to consider how repositories can support the needs of
research data and related software and workflows. Areas of interest are:

·           Curation lifecycle management, including storage, software and
workflows

·           Digital preservation tools and services

·           Reuse and analysis of scientific content

·           Scholarly workflows, publishing and communicating scientific
knowledge

5. Integrating with the Wider Web and External Systems

Papers are invited to explore, evaluate, or demonstrate integration with
external systems, including:

·           CRIS and research management systems

·           Notification and compliance tracking systems

·           Identifier services

·           Preservation services and repositories

·           Publisher systems

·           Collection management systems and workflows

6. Exploring Metrics, Assessment, and Impact

Papers are invited to present experiences on metrics and assessment services
for a range of content, including:

·           Bibliometrics

·           Downloads (e.g. COUNTER compliance)

·           Altmetrics and other alternative methods of tracking and presenting
impact

7. Managing Rights

Papers are invited to examine the role of rights management in the context of
open repositories, including:

·           Research and scholarly communication outputs

·           Licenses (e.g. Creative Commons, Open Data Commons)

·           Embargoes

·           Requirements of funder mandates

8. Developing and Training Staff

Papers are invited to consider the evolving role of staff who support and
manage repositories across libraries, cultural heritage organizations, research
offices and computer centres, especially:

·           New roles and responsibilities

·           Training needs and opportunities

·           Career path and recruitment

·           Community support

KEY DATES

·         01 February 2016: Deadline for submissions and Scholarship Programme
applications

·         01 February 2016: Registration opens

·         28 March 2016: Submitters notified of acceptance to general conference

·         11 April 2016: Submitters notified of acceptance to Interest Groups

·         13-16 June 2016: OR2016 conference

SUBMISSION PROCESS

Conference Papers and Panels

We expect that proposals for papers or panels will be two to four-pages (see
below for optional Proposal Templates). Abstracts of accepted papers and panels
will be made available through the conference's web site, and later they and
associated materials will be made available in an open repository. In general,
sessions will have three papers; panels may take an entire session or may be
combined with a paper. Relevant papers unsuccessful in the main track will be
considered for inclusion, as appropriate, as an Interest Group presentation,
poster or 24/7.

Interest Group Presentations

The opportunity to engage with and learn more about the work of relevant
communities of interest is a key element of Open Repositories. One to two page
proposals are invited for presentations or panels that focus on the work of
such communities, traditionally DSpace, EPrints, Fedora, and Invenio,
describing novel experiences or developments in the construction and use of
repositories involving issues specific to these technical platforms. Further
information about applications for additional Interest Groups and guidance on
submissions will be forthcoming.

24x7 Presentations

24x7 presentations are 7 minute presentations comprising no more than 24
slides. Proposals for 24x7 presentations should be one to two-pages. Similar to
Pecha Kuchas or Lightning Talks, these 24x7 presentations will be grouped into
blocks based on conference themes, with each block followed by a moderated
discussion / question and answer session involving the audience and whole block
of presenters. This format will provide conference goers with a fast-paced
survey of like work across many institutions, and presenters the chance to
disseminate their work in more depth and context than a traditional poster.

"Repository RANTS" 24x7 Block

One block of 24x7's will revolve around "repository rants": brief exposés that
challenge the conventional wisdom or practice, and highlight what the
repository community is doing that is misguided, or perhaps just missing
altogether. The top proposals will be incorporated into a track meant to
provoke unconventional approaches to repository services.

"Repository RAVES" 24x7 Block

One block of 24x7's at OR2016 will revolve around "repository raves": brief
exposés that celebrate particular practice and processes, and highlight what
the repository community is doing that is right. The top proposals will be
incorporated into a track meant to celebrate successful approaches to
repository services.

Posters

We invite one-page proposals for posters that showcase current work. Attendees
will view and discuss your work during the poster reception.

2016 Developer Track: Top Tips, Cunning Code and Illuminating Insights

Each year a significant proportion of the delegates at Open Repositories are
software developers who work on repository software or related services. OR2016
will feature a Developer Track and Ideas Challenge that will provide a focus
for showcasing work and exchanging ideas.

Building on the success of last year's Developer Track, where we encouraged
live hacking and audience participation, we invite members of the technical
community to share the features, systems, tools and best practices that are
important to you.  Presentations can be as informal as you like, but once again
we encourage live demonstrations, tours of code repositories, examples of cool
features and the unique viewpoints that so many members of our community
possess.  Submissions should take the form of a title and a brief outline of
what will be shared with the community.

Further details and guidance on the Ideas Challenge will be forthcoming.

Developers are also encouraged to contribute to the other tracks as papers,
posters, 24x7 presentations, repository raves and rants 24x7 blocks.

Workshops and Tutorials

One to two-page proposals for workshops and tutorials addressing theoretical or
practical issues around digital repositories are welcomed. Please address the
following in your proposal:

·         The subject of the event and what knowledge you intend to convey

·         Length of session (e.g., 1-hour, 2-hour, half a day or a whole day)

·         A brief statement on the learning outcomes from the session

·         How many attendees you plan to accommodate

·         Technology and facility requirements

·         Any other supplies or support required

·         Anything else you believe is pertinent to carrying out the session

Proposal Templates

The OR2016 proposal templates are a guideline to help you prepare an effective
submission. They will be provided in both the Word document and plain-text
Markdown formats and provide details around the requirements for conference
papers and panels and 24/7's and posters. These will be available from the
conference website shortly.

Submission system

The conference system will be open for submissions by 15 December 2015. PDF
format is preferred.

CODE OF CONDUCT

We will be publishing guidelines for conduct at OR2016. As a reference, the
OR2015 Code of Conduct is available at http://www.or2015.net/code-of-conduct/
and the 2015 Anti-Harrassment Policy is at
http://www.or2015.net/anti-harassment-policy/.

SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME

OR2016 will again run a Scholarship Programme which will enable us to provide
support for a small number of full registered places (including the poster
reception and banquet) for the conference in Dublin. The programme is open to
librarians, repository managers, developers and researchers in digital
libraries and related fields. Applicants submitting a paper for the conference
will be given priority consideration for funding. Please note that the
programme does not cover costs such as accommodation, travel and subsistence.
It is anticipated that the applicant's home institution will provide financial
support to supplement the OR Scholarship Award. Full details and an application
form will shortly be available on the conference website.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Program Co-Chairs

David Minor, University of California, San Diego

Matthias Razum, FIZ Karlsruhe

Sarah Shreeves, University of Miami

contact:
or16-program-chairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:or16-program-chairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Local Hosts

Trinity College Dublin

contact: OR2016@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:OR2016@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Conference Website and Social Media

website: http://or2016.net/<http://or2015.net/>

twitter: @OR2016Dub<https://twitter.com/OR2016Dub> and #or2016Dub

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ORConference/

FIZ Karlsruhe - Leibniz-Institut für Informationsinfrastruktur GmbH.
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB
101892.
Geschäftsführerin: Sabine Brünger-Weilandt.
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Dr. Thomas Greiner.