Re: Quarterly Journal of Military History

> ich komme einfach nicht weiter in meiner nun schon recht
> verzweifelten Suche nach einer (Spezial)Bibliothek, die das
> amerikanische Magazin "Quarterly Journal of Military
> History" (auch als MHQ bekannt) bezieht.
> Es gibt eine Kopie (die einzige in Deutschland??) im
> Lesesaal der Muenchner Staatsbibliothek, aber die
> "KollegInnen" waren auf schriftliche Anfrage nicht in der
> Lage, wenigstens das Inhaltsverzeichnis eines Heftes zu
> kopieren... Amerikanische (Chemiker)Kollegen konnten auch
> nicht weiterhelfen...
>
> Mir geht es vorrangig darum, den Artikel "The Road Not
> Taken" aus Vol 10, Heft 3 (spring 98) zu erhalten, aber ohne
> Seitenangaben

S. 65-80

> werde ich bei den Münchnern keine Chance
> haben....  ;-)

ich habe versucht etwas mehr (evtl. auch eine Kopie) zu bekommen, aber
bis dann schauen Sie vielleicht
hier:http://www.metro2000.net/~stabbott/AHarticleMHQ.htm

Paul S. Ulrich   --  Informationsdienste / Information Services
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin / Berlin Central and Regional
Library
Amerika-Gedenkbibliothek / America Memorial Library
Bluecherplatz 1 / 10961 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 (30) 90226 149  / Fax: +49 (30) 90226 163   NEU / NEW !!!
e-mail: pulrich _at__ zlb.de       NEU / NEW !!!

Title: Quarterly Journal of Military History Spring Issue- with Alternate History Section

As of the end of February, 1998, the Spring issue of the Quarterly Journal of Military History is beginning to hit the newsstands in the US. It features a special, 15 page secion of military-related Alternate Histories entitled "The Road Not Taken..."

It seems as if the authors of these 37 short Alternate Histories have been "Lurkers" on the Alternate History newsgroup, because they've given serious thought to many of the same What Ifs! The magazine's editor believes that frivolous "what ifs" have given counterfactuals a bad name. So, of the special Alternate History section, he says, "we only traffic in the plausible here."

Here's a brief summary of each Alternate History:

"No Glory that was Greece?" by historian Victor Davis Hanson- The consequenses of an Athenian failure at Salamis in 480bce.

"If D-Day Had Failed" by historian Stephen E. Ambrose - What if the weather had turned worse on the night of June 5-6, 1944, and the Germans had been able to turn the Allies back into the sea? This causes Churchill's government to fall, and Roosevelt to lose the election in 1944. (Also, see my "D-Day fails" TL)

"A Country Without a Father" by Thomas Fleming, author of _Liberty!_ - What if George Washington had been forced to resign in the winter of 1777-78? "Furor Teutonicus" by Lewis H. Lapham, editor of _Harper's_ magazine - What if Publius Quintilius Varus had not lost the Roman army in a German forest in the autumn of ad 9?

"The Triumph of the Armada" by author Geoffrey Parker- What if the Spaniards had managed to tow all of its fireships to safety during the fight with the British in 1588?

"China Without Tears" by Arthur Waldron, UofPenn.professor - What if the Chinese Civil war of 1945-49 had ended in a partition of China?

"The Peace of 1914" by Holger H. Herwig, author of _The First World War_ - What if the German Chancellor had listened to General Erich von Falkenhayn?

"French Defeat at Sea, British Victory at Yorktown" by US Rear Admiral J.R. Stark - What if British forces had reacted quickly on the ground, and the French had then withdrawn their support of the American Rebels?

"The Overreachers" by Allistair Horne, author of _How Far >From Austerlitz: Napoleon 1805-1815_ - What if Napoleon had grasped peace from Russia in 1807, and Hitler had not declared war on the US in 1941?

"A Lighter Dark Ages?" by Barry S. Strauss, director of the Peace Studies program at Cornell Univ. - What if the Romans had cracked down on Gaul, controlled who was in its armies and practiced forward defense of its borders?

"How Hitler Could have Won in 1941" by military historian John Keegan - What if Hitler had decided to make the invasion of the Balkans in the spring of 1941 his main campaign instead of Operation Barbarossa?

"Antietam: The South's Missed Opportunity" by Civil war author James M. McPherson - What if Lee's Order #191 hadn't been lost? (See the TL by John Mullervy on the same topic)

"No National Football League?" by Military author Richard M. Ketchum - What if Gen. Burgoyne had not been stopped at Saratoga?

"A Good Night's Sleep Can Do Wonders" by Barbara N. Porter, Neo-Assyrian historian - What if King Gyges of Lydia had stayed up late worrying about the coming Cimmerian hordes, and missed his famous dream?

"A Quagmire Avoided?" by author Ted Morgan - What if President Eisenhower had approved action to help the French in Vietnam in 1953?

"Rebellion in the Balance" by Rice Univ. history prof. Ira D. Gruber - What if the Battles of Trenton and Princeton had been lost by Washington?

"The Soviet Invasion of Japan" by MHQ editor Robert Cowley - What if the Soviets had invaded the island of Hokkaido in 1945?

"1527: Rome Unsacked" by history prof. Theodore K. Rabb - What if Giovanni delle Bande Nere had survived? (Somewhat obscure, but interesting)

"Rearranging World War II" by Gerhard L. Weinberg, author of _A World At Arms_ - What if Hitler had followed advice and brought the US into the war in 1939?

"Just a Backwoods Skirmish" by _Sharpe's_ series author Bernard Cornwell - What if those pesky rebels had won their independence from Britain back in 1777? (One of those neat "reverse" AH's!)

"The Immolation of Hernan Cortes" by Ross Hassig, author of _Aztec Warfare_ - What if Cortez' campaign had ended in disaster?

"The Lusitania is Not Torpedoed" by author Samuel Hines

"The End" by military historian Robert L. O'Connell - What if mistaken signals had caused WW III in 1983?

"Alexander Dies Young" by Princeton Classics Dept. Chair Josiah Ober

"The Case of the Missing Carriers" by history prof. Elihu Rose - What if the planes of the USS Enterprise had been at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7 1941?

"The Lost Order Is Not Lost" by author and contributing MHQ editor Stephen W. Sears - another stab at the famous "Lost Order #191".

"Napoleon Wins at Waterloo" by Caleb Carr, author of _The Alienist_ and MHQ contributing editor.

"Triumph of the Dictators" by Boston Univ. prof. David Fromkin - What if Rommel had taken the Middle East in 1941?

"If the Holy League Hadn't Dithered" by Peter Pierson - What if King Charles IX of France had followed his heart and joined the "Holy League" against the Turks in 1570?

"The Revolution's Dunkirk" by historian/author David McCullough - What if the wind hadn't held north on NY's East River after the Americans had lost the battle of Long Island in 1776? (Superbly written, as usual!)

"The Armistice of Desparation" by Dennis E. Showalter, MHQ contributing editor - What if WW I had ended in a matter of weeks?

"Our Midway Disaster" by author Theodore F. Cook - What if a Japanese sailor's doubts had been taken seriously?

"Bismark's Empire: Stillborn" by _World Journal_ editor James Chase - What if the French Armies had taken the offensive in 1870?

"Vietnam in America, 1865" by former NYT columnist and author Tom Wicker - What if Lee's army had "scattered" in April, 1865?

"What a Taxi Driver Wrought" by Williamson Murray, Ohio State Univ. prof. emeritus of History and MHQ contributing editor - What if a man had been hit by a taxicab? (You'll have to read this one!)

"Thanks, But No Cigar" by David Clay Large, author of _Where the Ghosts Walked: Munich's Road to War_ - What if Annie Oakley had been a worse shot?

"Infectious Alternatives" by William H. McNeill, author of _Rise of the West_ - What if the Assyrian Army had remained healthy in 701 bc?

  • The Quarterly Journal of Military History Spring 1998
  • p.65-80
  • US price $8.95
  • CAN price $11.50
  • Having read these short but thought-provoking Alternate Histories, I'm sure you'll all agree with MHQ editor Robert Cowley when he says "The road not taken, I've long felt, belongs on the map." I strongly urge you to add this great issue to your Alternate History-related book and magazine collection.

    =Return to Main AH Page=

    Posted to soc.history.what-if and alt.history.what-if on 28 Feb.1998