Public Access to Internet - floppy disks

Weitergeleitet !

mailto:kam4 _at__ nottscc.gov.uk (Keith Mellor)

Betreff: Public Access to Internet - floppy disks
 Datum:  Tue, 21 Apr 98 08:01:43 PDT
   Von:  kam4 _at__ nottscc.gov.uk (Keith Mellor)
    An:  lis-pub-libs _at__ mailbase.ac.uk

In Notts we have been operating a pilot project on public access to the
Internet for the last 6months. During that period we have not allowed
users to download to disk but from evaluation forms  that we have
received it is aservice that would be welcomed. However we are  slightly
apprehensive  about providing the service because we do not know whether
it will be abused or cause all sorts of difficulties.

I would be very grateful if any other public libraries who provide such
service would give us the benefit of their experiences.  Areas that are
of concern to us are:-

-    Can customers only use floppy disks that are bought from the
library, thus ensuring that they are virus free?

-    Do customers have to buy a new disk every time that they want to
download or can they use one they have bought previously?  If this is
the case , how do you ensure that it is virus free and how do you know
that it has been bought from the library?

-     Can customers bring in their own disk to load Bookmarks for
example?

-     How do you ensure that software is not downloaded?

If you could help in answering these questions and gving us the benefit
of your experiences I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in anticipation

Keith Mellor
Assistant Systems Officer
Notts County Libraries