From: Michael Soltys  <Michael_Soltys_at_PO.IRI.SF _at__ SMTPLINK.INFORES.com>
Fri, 3 Mar 1995 16:11:02 EST
To: Multiple recipients of list NETSCAPE <NETSCAPE%IRLEARN.BITNET _at__ vm.gmd.de>
Subject: It's official! Netscape dominates!

     For those of you who were too busy surfing to catch the recent article
     in the New York Times (remember newspapers printed on paper?) --

     Fascinating facts from THE NEW YORK TIMES article this week entitled
     "Netscape Knows Fame And Aspires To Fortune" by reporter Peter H.
     Lewis:

     "Since December, more than three million copies of Netscape Navigator
     have been distributed."

     "'I'm astonished.  I've never seen anything like it in my life,' said
     James Clark, the 51-year-old chairman of the privately held Netscape .
     . . "

     A NYT study of browsers accessing "many of the most popular WWW sites"
     revealed 55,991 out of 72,000 (78%) used NETSCAPE! (Mosaic: 14% -
     ouch!)

     The article then astutely goes on to point out that given Microsoft's
     deal with Mosaic and the ever-changing nature of the Web, Netscape is
     at a critical juncture in the Coke-vs-Pepsi-like browser wars, and
     it's lead is tenuous at best.

     But, for moment, it seems there's no question what the masses flooding
     onto Infobahn on-ramps everywhere favor as their vehicle of choice:
     NETSCAPE!!!

     MS -- "That URL was like, so five minutes ago."
------ Forwarded message ends here ------
Dr. Thomas Hilberer,
Universitaets- und Landesbibliothek Duesseldorf
Heinrich-Heine-Universitaet Duesseldorf
Universitaetsstr. 1, D-40225 Duesseldorf
http://www.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/uni.d/hhu.d/ub.d/Welcome.html
FAX: +49 +211 311-3054  Phone: +49 +211 311-3524 or -4708
                    "l'ecrivain passe, le bibliothecaire reste"
                      A.-M. Chaintreau: Droles de bibliotheques