Archivierung aller WWW-Seiten Deutschlands

Hallo Inetbib-KollegInnen,
anbei eine Mail, die kuerzlich in der Liste Chemweb zu finden war.
Ist das darin erwaehnte von der Schwedischen Nationalbibliothek
angestrebte Vorhaben auch fuer Deutschland interessant ? Gibt es
schon aehnlich umfassende Bestrebungen an der DDB ? Ist dies
ueberhaupt sachlich oder technisch sinnvoll ?
Freue mich auf Meinungsaeusserungen,
mit freundlichen Gruessen aus Harburg
Thomas Hapke

Archiving the entire chemical Web

Rzepa, Henry (h.rzepa _at__ ic.ac.uk)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:07:33 +0100

I enclose a portion of a message received from Sweden. I wonder who
pays for this to happen? This is however an interesting contrast with
say Chemical Abstracts, who abstract only a very tiny proportion of
the chemical Web, by the expedient of printing the document first, and
abstracting that rather than the "e-version". The resultant quality is
no doubt very much better than the Swedes would achieve. Still, it
raises an issue that if an entire country (and 5.6M URLS) can be
archived, no doubt the whole of chemistry (which is perhaps 25% the
size of this) could also be done. The big difference is that one
cannot tell it is chemistry simply by inspecting the URL!

I have thought in the past that any site that considers itself
chemical in nature might wish to identify this (ie by an expedient
similar to the robots.txt file which controls whether you allow robots
to visit you, ie chembot.txt).

I wonder if on the whole, readers of this list feel that someone
somewhere should be thinking about how to do it, or whether the Web,
like phone calls, may just not be worth "snapshoting" in this way.
Arguably, already so much of the chemical Web lurks behind passwords,
or is generated just-in-time from databases, that an archive would be
so incomplete as to be not worth doing. Anyone with strong views on
this?

***********************
The National Library of Sweden (KB) archives the whole "Swedish web",
within *.se (today about 5.6M URL's), because we hope KB will not go
broke, for a few more centuries at least. We are the only National
Library in the world to do so. We hope for international collaboration
though. Will British Library join us? Finland will. Norway, Denmark
and Iceland probably too. Some links do cross over borders!(-;

Best regards,

Frans

Frans Lettenstrom, Ph.D, Executive Officer, Information Technology
BIBSAM (Department for National Coordination and Development) The
Royal Library, National Library of Sweden

***********************

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
mailto:rzepa _at__ ic.ac.uk; Tel (44) 171 594 5774; Fax: (44) 171 594 5804.

chemweb: A list for Chemical Applications of the Internet.
Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/chemweb/

Thomas Hapke, Subject Librarian for Chemical Engineering
University Library, Technical University Hamburg-Harburg
D-21071 Hamburg, Germany
e-mail: hapke _at__ tu-harburg.d400.de, phone: 40 7718-3365,
fax: 40 7718-2248
WWW: http://www.tu-harburg.de/b/hapke/t_hapke.html