Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge

Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge
in the Sciences and Humanities

Preface
The Internet has fundamentally changed the practical and
economic realities
of distributing scientific knowledge and cultural
heritage. For the first
time ever, the Internet now offers the chance to
constitute a global and
interactive representation of human knowledge, including
cultural heritage
and the guarantee of worldwide access.
We, the undersigned, feel obliged to address the
challenges of the Internet
as an emerging functional medium for distributing
knowledge. Obviously,
these developments will be able to significantly modify
the nature of
scientific publishing as well as the existing system of
quality assurance.
In accordance with the spirit of the Declaration of the
Budapest Open Acess
Initiative, the ECHO Charter and the Bethesda Statement
on Open Access
Publishing, we have drafted the Berlin Declaration to
promote the Internet
as a functional instrument for a global scientific
knowledge base and human
reflection and to specify measures which research policy
makers, research
institutions, funding agencies, libraries, archives and
museums need to
consider.

Goals
Our mission of disseminating knowledge is only half
complete if the
information is not made widely and readily available to
society. New
possibilities of knowledge dissemination not only
through the classical
form but also and increasingly through the open access
paradigm via the
Internet have to be supported. We define open access as
a comprehensive
source of human knowledge and cultural heritage that has
been approved by
the scientific community.
In order to realize the vision of a global and
accessible representation of
knowledge, the future Web has to be sustainable,
interactive, and
transparent. Content and software tools must be openly
accessible and
compatible.

Definition of an Open Access Contribution
Establishing open access as a worthwhile procedure
ideally requires the
active commitment of each and every individual producer
of scientific
knowledge and holder of cultural heritage. Open access
contributions
include original scientific research results, raw data
and metadata, source
materials, digital representations of pictorial and
graphical materials and
scholarly multimedia material.

Open access contributions must satisfy two conditions:
   1. The author(s) and right holder(s) of such
contributions grant(s) to
all users a free, irrevocable, worldwide, right of
access to, and a license
to copy, use, distribute, transmit and display the work
publicly and to
make and distribute derivative works, in any digital
medium for any
responsible purpose, subject to proper attribution of
authorship (community
standards, will continue to provide the mechanism for
enforcement of proper
attribution and responsible use of the published work,
as they do now), as
well as the right to make small numbers of printed
copies for their
personal use.
   2. A complete version of the work and all
supplemental materials,
including a copy of the permission as stated above, in
an appropriate
standard electronic format is deposited (and thus
published) in at least
one online repository using suitable technical standards
(such as the Open
Archive definitions) that is supported and maintained by
an academic
institution, scholarly society, government agency, or
other
well-established organization that seeks to enable open
access,
unrestricted distribution, inter operability, and long-
term archiving.

Supporting the Transition to the Electronic Open Access
Paradigm
Our organizations are interested in the further
promotion of the new open
access paradigm to gain the most benefit for science and
society.
Therefore, we intend to make progress by
    * encouraging our researchers/grant recipients to
publish their work
according to the principles of the open access paradigm.
    * encouraging the holders of cultural heritage to
support open access
by providing their resources on the Internet.
    * developing means and ways to evaluate open access
contributions and
online-journals in order to maintain the standards of
quality assurance and
good scientific practice.
    * advocating that open access publication be
recognized in promotion
and tenure evaluation.
    * advocating the intrinsic merit of contributions to
an open access
infrastructure by software tool development, content
provision, metadata
creation, or the publication of individual articles.
We realize that the process of moving to open access
changes the
dissemination of knowledge with respect to legal and
financial aspects. Our
organizations aim to find solutions that support further
development of the
existing legal and financial frameworks in order to
facilitate optimal use
and access.

aus:
<{HYPERLINK "http://www.zim.mpg.de/openaccess-