RE: VIAF Server

Alexander Siegel fragte:

> Wann wird der VIAF-OAI-Server online sein und zu welchen Bedingungen wird
man diesen - auch als
> Informationsagent ... - nutzen können?
> http://www.oclc.org/research/projects/viaf/

Daraufhin habe ich mal angefragt bei Ed O'Neill, dem Projektleiter bei OCLC.
Hier seine Antwort:

From:           	"O'Neill,Ed" <oneill@xxxxxxxx>
To:             	'Bernhard Eversberg' <ev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	RE: About VIAF
Date sent:      	Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:28:41 -0500

Dear Mr. Eversberg,

The VIAF project is a multi-phase project.  We are still in the first phase
where the focus is on matching the names between the DDB and LC authority
files.  We expect to have this phase complete by the end of the year but the
timing could vary depending on the difficulties encountered.

We do anticipate that that it will be possible to send a name in the DDB
form and convert it to LC form and vise versa.  However, this will be done
in later phases of the project, so many details have not been fully
analyzed.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like any additional details.

Thanks for your interest,

Ed

Edward T. O'Neill, Ph.D.
Consulting Research Scientist
Office of Rerearch
OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
(614) 764-6074
oneill@xxxxxxxx

Bernhard Eversberg
Universitaetsbibliothek, Postf. 3329,
D-38023 Braunschweig, Germany
Tel.  +49 531 391-5026 , -5011 , FAX  -5836
e-mail  B.Eversberg@xxxxxxxx