Von: "J.Wright" <iss03b@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:53:12 +0000
An: LIS-CILIP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Restructuring at Bangor University

The University of Wales Bangor in the UK no longer feel that subject
librarians / academic liaison librarians are needed in the modern
academic library. They have made restructuring proposals which include
removing all bar one of the subject librarians and a tier of the library
management, including the Head of Bibliographic Services. The university
management thinks that technology has 'deskilled' literature searching.
As far as I know, this proposal is unprecedented in the United Kingdom.

In essence, there will remain 4 professional librarians serving a
'research-led' university of 8,000 plus FTEs and with 8 library sites.
These will be the university librarian, cataloguing librarian,
acquisitions librarian and Law librarian.

Has anything like this happened anywhere that you know of?  If so,
what have been the effects?  We are in a consultation period that
lasts until 25th February and any evidence we can gather to help us in
our fight against these proposals would be warmly welcomed.  If you
would like to receive a copy of the consultation document please reply
to Angela Jones-Evans (a.jones-evans@xxxxxxxxxxxx).

Letters / E-mails of opposition to the decision, and support for those
affected would also be welcome. They can be addressed to:

Dr Kevin Mundy
Senior Assistant Registrar
University of Wales Bangor
College Road
Bangor
Gwynedd
LL57 2DG
E-mail: k.mundy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

and importantly should also be copied to:

Angela Jones-Evans
Head of Information Support Group
Unievrsity of Wales Bangor
Main Library