[InetBib] The International Linked Open Data in Libraries, Archives, and Museums Summit (“LOD-LAM”), 2-3 Juni 2011, San Francisco

Dear colleagues,

ganz knapp und formlos möchte ich auf die folgende Veranstaltung hinweisen (
http://lod-lam.net/summit/):

*The International Linked Open Data in Libraries, Archives, and Museums
Summit (“LOD-LAM”)* will convene leaders in their respective areas of
expertise from the humanities and sciences to catalyze practical, actionable
approaches to publishing Linked Open Data, specifically:

   - Identify the tools and techniques for publishing and working with
   Linked Open Data.
   - Draft precedents and policy for licensing and copyright considerations
   regarding the publishing of library, archive, and museum metadata.
   - Publish definitions and promote use cases that will give LAM staff the
   tools they need to advocate for Linked Open Data in their institutions.

*Where and when?*

The LOD-LAM Summit will take place June 2-3, 2011 in San Francisco, CA.

*How will the Summit be organized?*

LOD-LAM will utilize the Open Space Technology meeting format, designed to
give this group of expert innovators the time and space to freely identify
and address as a group the most pressing issues related to forwarding Linked
Open Data in libraries, archives, and museums.  This format involves an
initial session in which the participants collaboratively create the agenda
for breakout sessions for the first day.  Because the LOD-LAM Summit is
action-oriented, a similar process happens on the second day, but with a
focus on actionable items, documentation, and collaboration over the short
term period of the next year.  The meeting is based on the two primary
principles of passion and responsibility: *passion* to jump in and play an
active role; and * responsibility* to lead, and follow through with action.
No papers will be submitted or read, no plenaries given, and everyone will
participate.

In essence, Open Space puts a focus on convening passionate players across
multiple disciplines to address one specific question or theme; in this case
the question is “How do we expand international adoption of Linked Open Data
amongst Libraries, Archives, and Museums.”

*Is it open to all?*

Unfortunately, we can only accommodate about 50 people, so we are seeking
representative candidates from a broad range of institutions from around the
world with diverse levels of leadership and technical expertise.  We hope to
hold future meetings at various locations around the world that will be open
to more participants.  All summit proceedings will be open and published in
real time.

*Who should attend?*

The ideal candidate may be a programmer, administrator, lawyer, LAM
professional, or any number of things, but will have at least a working
understanding of Linked Open Data if not some direct experience with the
technology or policies involved.  Participants will have the authority in
their position to implement policy or technology, or influence decision
makers in their institution or sector.  We’ll be looking for people that
have organized others in their field around Linked Open Data and will have a
wide sphere of influence.  We seek to have at least 25% of participating
institutions contribute to a working use case, so the ideal candidate will
be able to contribute to that goal.

*How much does it cost?*

Thanks to the generous support of our funders and sponsors, there is no cost
for attending the meeting.  Limited travel grants will be available.

*How do I apply?*

We will be accepting applications beginning at 8am, PST February 1, 2011,
and closing 5pm PST, February 28, 2011.  Participants will be selected and
notified by March 7, 5pm PST.

*Who are the organizers?*

 *Jon Voss* (@LookBackMaps <http://twitter.com/lookbackmaps>), Founder,
LookBackMaps, principal organizer/facilitator.
*Kris Carpenter Negulescu*, Director of Web Group, Internet Archive, project
manager

And special thanks to our Organizing Committee:
*Lisa Goddard* (@lisagoddard <http://twitter.com/lisagoddard>), Acting
Associate University Librarian for Information Technology, Memorial
University Libraries
*Martin Kalfatovic* (@UDCMRK <http://twitter.com/UDCMRK>), Assistant
Director, Digital Services Division at Smithsonian Institution Libraries and
the Deputy Project Director of the Biodiversity Heritage Library.
*Mark Matienzo* (@anarchivist <http://twitter.com/anarchivist>), Digital
Archivist in Manuscripts and Archives at the Yale University Library.
*Mia Ridge* (@mia_out <http://twitter.com/mia_out>), Lead Web Developer &
Technical Architect, Science Museum/NMSI (UK)
*Tim Sherratt* (@wragge <http://twitter.com/wragge>), National Museum of
Australia & University of Canberra
*MacKenzie Smith*, Research Director, MIT Libraries.
*Adrian Stevenson* (@adrianstevenson<http://www.twitter.com/adrianstevenson>),
Research Officer, UKOLN; Project Manager, LOCAH Linked Data Project.
*John Wilbanks* (@wilbanks <http://twitter.com/wilbanks>), VP of Science,
Director of Science Commons, Creative Commons.

--

Beste Grüße,

Dr. Cornelius Puschmann, M.A.

Department for English Language and Linguistics
Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf
Building 23.11, Level 1, Room 21
Universitätsstrasse 1
40225 Düsseldorf
Germany

+49 211 81 15927 (office)

Nachwuchsforschergruppe "Wissenschaft und Internet" /
Junior Researchers Group "Science and the Internet"
http://nfgwin.uni-duesseldorf.de
--
http://www.inetbib.de