[InetBib] cfp: SDH 2011 Supporting the Digital Humanities, 17/18 Nov 2011 Copenhagen

With apologies for cross-posting. Please forward to anyone who might be
interested.

First call for papers
*SDH 2011 Supporting the Digital Humanities: Answering the unaskable*

17-18 November, Copenhagen

Following the first successful SDH conference in Vienna in 2010, the
CLARIN and DARIAH initiatives have decided to jointly organise the
second SDH conference in Copenhagen, Denmark in November 2011. The
conference venue will be at the University of Copenhagen, a participant
in both CLARIN and DARIAH.

Digital technologies have the potential to transform the types of
research questions that we ask in the Humanities, and to allow us to
address traditional questions in new and exciting ways, but ultimately
they will also allow us to answer questions that we were not even aware
we could ask, hence the title of this conference. How can digital
humanities help us not just to find the answers to our research
questions more quickly and more easily, but also to formulate research
questions we would never have been able to ask without access to large
quantities of digital data and sophisticated tools for their analysis?
Supporting the Digital Humanities will be a forum for the discussion of
these innovations, and of the ways in which these new forms of research
can be facilitated and supported.

CLARIN and DARIAH are creating European research infrastructures for the
humanities and related disciplines. SDH2011 aims to bring together
infrastructure providers and users from the communities involved with
the two infrastructure initiatives. The conference will consist of a
number of topical sessions where providers and users will present and
discuss results, obstacles and opportunities for digitally-supported
humanities research. Participants are encouraged to engage with honest
assessments of the intellectual problems and practical barriers in an
open and constructive atmosphere.

The first SDH conference in 2010 gave a broad and multi-facetted
presentation of the domains of interest to CLARIN and DARIAH. This time
we have chosen a somewhat more focussed approach, focussing on two major
themes, but not excluding other themes of interest for the humanities.
The two themes are:

•    Sound and movement – music, spoken word, dance and theatre
•    Text and things – text, and the relationship between text and
material artefacts, such as manuscript, stone or other carriers of text

Submissions are invited for individual papers and posters, as well as
panels. Focus should be on tools and methods for the analysis of digital
data rather than on digitisation processes themselves, both from the
provider and from the user perspective. We want to pay special attention
to inspiring showcases that demonstrate the innovative power of digital
methods in the humanities.

*Some important dates:*
July 15, 2011: Submission of suggestion for panels
July 24, 2011: Submission of abstracts (4 pages)
August 15, 2011: Notification on panel proposals
September 15, 2011: Author notification
October 15, 2011: Final version of papers for publication (8 pages).
November 17-18: Conference in Copenhagen, Denmark

*Programme committee:*

Bente Maegaard, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Steven Krauwer, Utrecht University, Netherlands
Helen Bailey, University of Bedfordshire, UK
Tim Crawford, Goldsmith’s University of London, UK
Matthew Driscoll, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Neil Fraistat, University of Maryland, United States
Erhard Hinrichs, Tübingen University, Germany
Fotis Jannidis, Würzburg University, Germany
Helen Katsiadakis, Academy of Athens, Greece
Krister Lindén, Helsinki University, Finland
Heike Neuroth, Göttingen State and University Library, Germany
Laurent Romary, INRIA, France
Nina Vodopivec, Institute for Contemporary History, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Peter Wittenburg, MPI, Netherlands/Germany
Martin Wynne, Oxford University, UK

Kind regards,
Christiane Fritze on behalf of the DCO
--