[InetBib] CfP: Libraries, archives and museums in dialogue: Improving access to complementary collections - Joint open session of the IFLA sections 'Art Libraries' and 'Subject Analysis and Access' at the 2019 IFLA WLIC Conference in Athens

Liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen,

ich möchte Sie gerne auf einen Call for Paper zu einer gemeinsamen sog. Open
Session der beiden IFLA Sektionen Art Libraries und Subject Analysis and Access
hinweisen.

With apologies for cross-posting.

Theme
LIBRARIES, ARCHIVES AND MUSEUMS IN DIALOGUE: Improving access to complementary
collections
Cultural heritage institutions are dealing with an immeasurable number of
resources. They include images, both originals and reproductions, as well as
different types of "cultural objects". Modern cataloguing rules, metadata
formats and semantic web standards support the conversion and linkage of
descriptive data related to the manifold collections of cultural heritage
institutions, and help to overcome the hitherto regrettable isolation of
complementary resources on the web. Apart from the necessity to make many
'hidden' collections more discoverable and accessible, the interaction and the
machine-supported analysis of semantic correlations of data from heterogeneous
sources are becoming more and more important.

Linked to the IFLA Conference theme, "Libraries in dialogue for change", the
Art Libraries and Subject Analysis and Access Section will be hosting a 2-hour
open session during the 2019 conference in Athens, Greece, in which we would
like to discuss how to improve the user's subject access to our complementary
collections, and how professionals can be supported by interlinking objects
between different collections through the use of new technologies and tools as
well as metadata standards and shared authority data.
We would also like to include in our discussion digital format image
collections, which play a great role in linking libraries, archives and
museums, especially in thematic virtual exhibitions, and lead to new forms of
collaboration.

Papers may include but are not limited to the following topics and questions:
*       How can we overcome the issue that connections between resources that
are related to each other are not always made explicit in our catalogs?
*       Is the compilation of a comprehensive network of interrelated and
interconnected data and documents provided by cultural institutions a
practicable solution?
*       And if so, what are the requirements for action, who are the
stakeholders, how should tasks be assigned?
*       Are archives, museums, and libraries working in the same direction,
e.g. with regard to authority data and metadata standards, to respond to the
user's needs, or are we still working in silos?
*       Are the images or texts describing or indexing practices based on the
user's needs? Could image indexing be a good way for non-textual information
recovery?
*       New approaches and tools to establish connections between resources
(texts, images, sounds, etc.) that are related to each other.

Full details are available at
https://2019.ifla.org/cfp-calls/art-libraries-subject-analysis-and-access-sections/

Mit vielen Grüßen und den besten Wünschen für das neue Jahr.

Andreas Kempf

--
DR. ANDREAS OSKAR KEMPF
Wissenschaftliche Dienste

ZBW - Leibniz-Informationszentrum Wirtschaft
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21
20354 Hamburg
Germany
T: +49 40 42834-459