Date sent:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:28:17 -0400
Send reply to:  Pegasus Mail for Windows Discussion List <PM-WIN _at__ UA1VM.UA.EDU>,
                Jeff Knapp <jef _at__ CUYLER.COM>
From:           Jeff Knapp <jef _at__ CUYLER.COM>
Subject:        Good Times Virus: HOAX
To:             Multiple recipients of list PMAIL <PMAIL _at__ UA1VM.UA.EDU>

All together now...

I regret sending this around, but it is short and may curb some other
messages.

The PKZIP300.EXE virus is TRUE and should be avoided, but the Good Times
virus.... read on...

From:          "Jeff Knapp" <CBM/JEF>
Date:          Tue, 22 Oct 1996 11:44:59 -0400

               The Good Times email virus is a hoax!
        If anyone repeats the hoax, please show them the FAQ.

             G o o d  T i m e s  V i r u s  H o a x
                           --------
                         M i n i  F A Q

                          by Les Jones
                         macfaq _at__ aol.com
                       lesjones _at__ usit.net

                        February 6, 1996

      This information can be freely reproduced in any medium,
            as long as the information is unmodified.

A FAQ, if you're new to the Internet, is a document that answers
Frequently Asked Questions. This Mini FAQ is a summary of, and a
reference to, the full FAQ, which has much more information about this and
other hoaxes. Instructions for retrieving the full FAQ are at the end of
this message. The Mini FAQ is short enough for faxes, message boards,
company memos, and people with short attention spans.

Is the Good Times email virus a hoax?
-------------------------------------

Yes. It's a hoax.

America Online, government computer security agencies, and makers of
anti-virus software have declared Good Times a hoax. See Online
References at the end of the FAQ.

The hoax has been around since at least November of 1994. Since that
time, no copy of the alleged virus has ever been found, nor has there
been a single verified case of a viral attack.

I'm new to the Internet. What is the Good Times virus hoax?

The story is that a virus called Good Times is being carried by email. Just
reading a message with "Good Times" in the subject line will erase your
hard drive, or even destroy your computer's processor. Needless to say,
it's a hoax, but a lot of people believed it.

Some of the companies that have reportedly fallen for the hoax include
AT&T, CitiBank, NBC, Hughes Aircraft, Microsoft, Texas Instruments, and
dozens or hundreds of others. There have been outbreaks at numerous
colleges.

The U.S. government has not been immune. Some of the government
agencies that have reportedly fallen victim to the hoax include the
Department of Defense, the FCC, and NASA.

The full Good Times Virus Hoax FAQ has more information about the
origins of the hoax, and variations on the text of the hoax.

What was the CIAC bulletin?
---------------------------

On December 6, 1994, the U.S. Department of Energy's CIAC (Computer
Incident Advisory Capability) issued a bulletin declaring the Good
Times virus a hoax and an urban legend. The bulletin was widely quoted as
an antidote to the hoax. The original document can be found at the address
in Online References at the end of the mini FAQ, and is included verbatim
in the full FAQ. CIAC issued another bulletin on April 24, 1995 to
reiterate that Good Times is a hoax.

Online References
-----------------

**CIAC Notes 94-05, 95-09, and especially 94-04**

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/notes/Notes04c.shtml
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/notes/Notes05d.shtml
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/notes/Notes09.shtml

Data Fellows' description of Good Times
http://www.datafellows.fi/v-descs/goodtime.htm

Australian Cert Note
ftp://ftp.auscert.org.au/pub/auscert/advisory/AL-95.02.virus.hoax.returns

Where can I find this FAQ and the complete FAQ?
people with short attention spans.

http://www.usit.net/public/lesjones/goodtimes.html
http://www.usit.net/public/lesjones/gtminifaq.html
http://users.aol.com/macfaq/goodtimes.html
http://users.aol.com/macfaq/gtminifaq.html

Via FTP:

ftp://usit.net/pub/lesjones/good-times-virus-hoax-faq.txt
ftp://usit.net/pub/lesjones/good-times-virus-hoax-mini-faq.txt
ftp://users.aol.com/macfaq/good-times-virus-hoax-faq.txt
ftp://users.aol.com/macfaq/good-times-virus-hoax-mini-faq.txt

On America Online:

In the file libraries at keyword VIRUS.

| Jeff Knapp                                   tel 201.734.3200 |
| Cuyler Burk                                  fax 201.734.3201 |
| Four Century Drive                                            |
| Parsippany, NJ 07054-4663                   jknapp _at__ cuyler.com |

I went to a general store, but they wouldn't let me buy
anything specific.

| Jeff Knapp                      Manager of Information Systems|
| Cuyler Burk                                                   |
| Parsippany, NJ                                  jef _at__ cuyler.com|

Lionel Hutz, executor of Ms. Bouvier's estate. She left a video-
will  so I earn my fee simply by pressing the 'play' button. Pretty
sweet, eh?
               -- Lionel Hutz, The Simpons, 'Selma's Choice'

With best compliments

           Peter Seitz
                                       (Faculty for civil engineering)
  Verkehrswesenzeichensaal (VZS)   The better drawing site :-)

  University of Technology Graz, Technikerstr. 4/II, A-8010-Graz, Austria
  e-mail: mailto:seitz _at__ bzs.tu-graz.ac.at (Internet)  2:316/5.18 (FidoNet)
 -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- http://wwwbzs.tu-graz.ac.at/~seitz/ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-