Betreff:        [IFLA-L] Petition for reducing annual conferences fees for
members and speakers
Datum:  Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:11:46 +0100
Von:    Navas Fernandez, Miguel Ernesto <miguel.navas@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues

The purpose for this email is to express our disapproval of IFLA's
long-existing requirement that members and speakers should pay the
registration fee to the annual conference. This policy is for us
questionable, and we think it is necessary to say so. We may seem to be
overcritical with institutional policies, but this criticism is done
with all respect and admiration for the people working at IFLA.

As you know, IFLA's requirement is that speakers and professional groups
members from the sections pay their fee to attend the annual conference,
restricting access to those librarians who do not get a funding from
their organizations or are not sponsored by private companies. For such
attendees, this implies a big personal effort if they want to
participate in the conference.

Each section has 400 Euros of annual administrative funds, but this is
not enough to cover expenses. Each one is allowed to invite only one
speaker for free to the annual conference -the rest have to pay their
own registration.

In order to open up IFLA to a wider audience, I believe professional
group members and invited speakers should pay a reduced registration fee
-a remarkable one, given that the current discounts are not enough.
Naturally, this may cause IFLA getting less money from registrations,
but that could be made up for in many ways, such as getting other means
for financing or reducing conference costs.

If you agree with me that IFLA should require that professional groups
members and speakers can pay the registration fee to the annual
conference with a remarkable discount -for instance 80%- please visit
http://www.change.org/petitions/ifla-reduce-annual-conferences-fees-for-members-and-speakers,

and sign it indicating your IFLA Professional Group.

Many thanks, best regards,

Miguel Navas-Fernandez, Chair
Guillermo Garcia-Capcha, Information Coordinator / Web Editor
Magdalena Biota, Corresponding Member
from Government Libraries Section

--
http://www.inetbib.de