------------ Kopie -------------
Date: Tuesday 9th October 2012
Publishing expert Tim Coates to expose gulf between libraries and
publishers in Frankfurt Book Fair address
- Tim Coates available for interview ahead of speech on
Wednesday 10 October 2012 -
Talking points:
· The growing gulf between libraries and the publishing industry will lead to a
lost
generation of readers who turn to film and social media to access literature and
culture
· The publishing industry is at risk of imploding if it continues to limit
library access
to ebooks, as more than half of reading takes place with books from libraries -
a fact
most publishers don't realise
· We are hollowing the library service to its destruction - it cannot make
sense to
be closing libraries and removing books while pouring vast amounts into
inefficient
computer systems
· Libraries and publishers must dismantle the walls between them and work
together to line the real and virtual shelves with a rich collection of both
print and
ebooks
· The responsibility is to a generation who will find e-reading on smart phones
and
yet unseen devices to be a perfectly normal part of their life and of their own
education

Tim Coates
Frankfurt Book Fair    10 Oct 2012

Ebooks, Publishers and Public Libraries

Every week we read in the publishing trade press and in the newspapers of
arguments between senior publishers and the administrators of the public
library service about the supply of ebooks to libraries.  The language is
fierce, the problems appear unsolvable and the progress is very slow.   But
such arguments and such news stories cannot make sense to the public who
believe and assume that both publishers and librarians hold the joint
responsibility of providing a library service and for producing the books they
want to read. Authors create the books -  publishers and librarians are the
enablers who give a service.
In this room we, who work in the industry, know of the importance of publishing
and the wonderful things it creates as a media industry.
And we know and understand better than anyone why public libraries are so
important.
In the UK we are forever seeing Government studies being conducted to find out
whether libraries are still relevant, in a way that makes one suspicious of
their motives, but I can explain to them in two minutes.
As Shakespeare would have had it - we use libraries in all the ages of our life
- a small child enjoys stories; a schoolgirl discovers the author no teacher
ever revealed; a student learns; in middle age we find the solace of reading
and as we grow older and more alone we find the sheer pleasure of time to read
what one has not done during working life.
As publishers we know the difference between someone who reads and someone who
does not - the simple cultural quality of a life that is enhanced and civil.
And yet - at a time when none of this should be risked - we are truly,
dangerously, fearfully, placing at imminent risk the entire public library
service.
The cause is that the publisher will not allow the arrival of the technology of
ebooks in public libraries.
The solutions when they emerge appear to be even more costly distribution
platforms and systems and more expensive ebooks.
Nothing could be more ludicrous - for this is the technology that makes the
whole idea of a public library become infinitely more practical than it has
ever been.
The whole point of the ebook technology is that the world distribution and
replication costs are nil.
Moreover the evidence is already to be seen that the ebooks that are most being
used are precisely those that are most often issued from libraries -  it is the
simple fiction, the crime novels, the romance that are the daily diet of
library patrons that are the books that are most used in ebook form.
If we deny libraries access to these, we will make them redundant very fast.
We will actually close the libraries down by removing the oxygen from their
lungs - but if we close the libraries by doing this - it is not hard to predict
and believe that in only a few years, maybe a decade, we will have reduced the
publishing market to a fraction of what it is now.  We will destroy a large
part of reading and with it, publishing. more than half reading now takes place
with books from libraries - and most publishers often don't realise that.
Removal of books from libraries is the opposite of what should be happening.
Ebook technology offers wonderful opportunities.  Having removed the printing
and distribution costs, we have made the whole cannon of literature through
ebooks instantly and more cheaply accessible to people anywhere in the world.
They can be read internationally without effort.  They are available now to
people with poor eyesight, sight impairment or with dyslexia.  Large print,
braille and audio - for teaching purposes at least - are instantly and freely
available through ebooks.
This is not the moment to be restricting their use in libraries.  The
connection from author to reader - the industry in which we all participate -
now has possibilities that never existed.  This is not the time to flounder and
fail.  This is not the time to give up on a generation and, because of our
internal disputes, allow them to turn to film and the social media for their
understanding of literature and culture.
The problem is serious and it runs very deep.  There is a fundamental crisis in
the book industry.  In my view it has been festering for thirty or forty years
- and that is the gravity and size of what has to be solved.  What happened was
that, with the advent of computer systems - the publishing and the library
worlds became two separate endeavours.   Instead of books being the link that
joined the two - computer systems and then the vendor supply chains that came
with them - have built an enormous concrete wall that divides them.  Instead of
providing sensible economic models of routes from author to reader we have
created vast Integrated Library Management, Information, Distribution and
Cataloging Systems that take up all the money and divide publishing from
librarianship.
Despite the well intentioned assurances of the trade associations, publishers
do not any longer have any meaningful working relationship with the library
service.
The public reader would be astonished to know that libraries and publishers
have completely different ways of describing and categorizing books - that the
barcodes printed on books since forty years ago are not use by libraries -
which have their own multitude of bar code arrangements. Readers  and authors
would be amazed to know that publishers have no idea which books are circulated
by public libraries - or that publishers, mainly, have no way of knowing
whether or not libraries carry the books they publish or whether or not they
are being read.
Readers and authors would, I believe, be astonished to visit an ALA convention
hall and see that instead of exhibits by the major publishers, the halls are in
fact full of teams of computer vendors whose cultural contribution lies in
commerce and corporation and not in knowledge or literature.  These vendors
take an excessively large part of the money that should be being spent on books
- and these conventions demonstrate that clearly there are large amounts of
money in the library industry.
The activity that joins publishers and librarians together and to the public -
which is reading - appears to be lost to both of them ... everybody in the
industry deserves a fair wage - but for helping people to find the books they
want not for spending it on computers, Integrated Systems, and jobbing
distributors who cater for the variations of service required by libraries.
In my country it cannot make sense to be closing libraries and removing books
and still spending vast amounts on warehouses and systems in every individual
150 local councils - which is what we do.  We are hollowing the service to its
destruction.
So I contend that the problem we call the ebook crisis is not just about
ebooks.  It is about the separation of the industry.  And the solution to it is
not just about fair distribution of money for reading ebooks - which is
essential - but about dismantling the appalling walls that have been
constructed between publishers and public librarians.  We have to learn to see
ourselves as one industry and not two different ones.
We have to see our joint purpose in the promotion of reading in our own
countries and around the world - and out of that we will all earn our living -
our purpose is to promote what authors and publishers do and not to strangle
it.
We have to see the solution to the ebook problem as being an answer to the
question, 'How do we, together, make the advantages of this technology
available to everyone in the world?'
I believe, after my own long years in the industry, that both publishers and
public librarians have to look for radical change - and be keen and eager to
embrace it together - in a way and on a scale that at present they just have
not contemplated.   They need to take two large steps back from where they are
and think again.
In a practical sense they have to dismantle the current supply chains for both
goods and information and replace them quickly with arrangements as innovative
and competent as those which the online book retailers have shown they can
create.
We have to have new communication so that publishers and libraries communicate
day to day effectively about what is happening in the reading and learning
markets - both with each other internally - and with the public externally, so
that the public hear one voice from one industry in the way that is customary
and normal with book retailers.
How do we do this?  Well, I believe there needs to be one joint urgent
initiative in the United States (where the current battle is raging and from
which a peace needs to be found) which is adopted internationally and
willingly.
The responsibility is to a generation who will find e-reading on smart phones
and as yet unseen devices to be perfectly normal part of their life and of
their own education.
If we don't do it, the world will be less civilised and a lot of people will
lose their living - it's as simple and as important as that. We must start now.

###

For interviews with Tim Coates or further information please contact Ellie
Backhouse,
ebackhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx / 020 7861 3014 / 07717 542 247.
About Tim Coates:
As a retail book seller, executive, advocate for libraries and literacy,
author, and
entrepreneur, Tim Coates has devoted his four-decade career to promoting his
love of books
and reading. Editor and author of 30 books, blogger, former managing
director/CEO of retail
book sellers Sherratt & Hughes and Waterstone's in England and of the English
book chain
WHSmith in Europe and proprietor of his own book store, Tim is chairman,
founder and
visionary for www.Bilbary.com, an e-book retail and lending site.

Mit den besten Grüßen

Dr. Harald Müller

Max-Planck-Institut für ausländisches öffentliches Recht und Völkerrecht /
Bibliothek
Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law / Library
Im Neuenheimer Feld 535; D-69120 Heidelberg
Phone: +49 6221 482 219; Fax: +49 6221 482 593
Mail: hmueller@xxxxxxx